Plex 2E

• 1.  Setting for backwards compatibility(AS400)  Plex RPG code. 

Posted May 31, 2017 03:50 AM

Hi, 

We have two sites that we support, the system is written in ca plex backend is RPG and the front end is WINC.

1st Site : We upgraded to AS400 V7R1 Our development also will be on V7R1.

2nd Site : Is still running on AS400 V6R1. Will upgrade in future but we still need to make changes.

What we have noticed in testing is that when compiling on V7R1 and trying to restore the objects from V7R1 to V6R1 AS400 (RPG objects) it fails.

We contacted IBM and they said that nothing changed in the RPG compilers and it should work.

Is there a setting in Plex gen and build or somewhere to specify the operating software target system to make the plex generated code backwards compatible?

If there's no setting for this we will have to compile on V7R1 promote to live system and also compile on V6R1 and then promote to our second site live system.

We are currently on Plex 7.2.

• 2.  Re: Setting for backwards compatibility(AS400)  Plex RPG code. 

Posted May 31, 2017 04:26 AM

Hello,

Try rebuilding the RPG function by adding the TGTRLS(V6R1M0) option value to the CRTRPGPGM command of YKT0001 message in the YKTRCMSG message file in the IBM i V7R1 machine's Plex product library(PLEX720).

The TGTRLS compiler option is not specified at shipment of Plex.

Regards,
    Hifumi

• 3.  Re: Setting for backwards compatibility(AS400)  Plex RPG code. 

Posted May 31, 2017 04:30 AM

Thanks, I will try that and will let you know if it works, It sounds Exactly what I wanted.

• 4.  Re: Setting for backwards compatibility(AS400)  Plex RPG code. 

Posted May 31, 2017 05:32 AM

We have changed the CRTRPGPGM and CRTRPGMOD  default target release to V6R1M0. The message YKT0001  to CRTRPGPGM PGM(&1/&2) SRCFILE(&4/&5) SRCMBR(&3) GENLVL(30) CVTOPT(*DATETIME) TGTRLS(V6R1M0)  but the problem still occurs.  Any ideas or did I do it wrong? 

Tested it by closing my plex connection  recompiling and  trying to move the functions to V6R1. The error on the green screen is :

Message ID . . . . . . : CPD6427 Severity . . . . . . . : 40
    Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
    Date sent . . . . . . : 31/05/17 Time sent . . . . . . : 10:56:06

Message . . . . : Object P62LC7F type *PGM cannot be saved for the specified
    target release.
    Cause . . . . . : Object P62LC7F type *PGM is not compatible with the
    specified target release. The earliest release for which this object can be
    saved is V7R1M0.
    Recovery . . . : Create the object again, specifying a target release
    compatible with the operating system release for the system where the object
    is to be restored.

Should we restart a dispatcher or is it referencing the wrong message file ?

• 5.  Re: Setting for backwards compatibility(AS400)  Plex RPG code. 

Posted May 31, 2017 06:19 AM

Thanks for your help it pointed me in the correct direction. I modified  CRTBNDRPG our build command uses it not sure why its different than what you said. And instead of modifying YKT0001 we modified YKT0020. And it worked.

• 6.  Re: Setting for backwards compatibility(AS400)  Plex RPG code. 
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 02, 2017 02:30 AM

Hello,

I am glad that your problem has been resolved.

You needed to add the TGTRLS compiler option to YKT0020, because the language of the RPG function you are using is "RPGIV".

If the language of the RPG function is "RPG400", it is necessary to add the TGTRLS compiler option to YKT0001.

Regards,
    Hifumi