Layer7 API Management

• 1.  OTK requirement for MySQL

Posted Jun 01, 2017 05:32 PM

Hi

i'm a little confused by this statement in the API Gateway documentation:

"The CA API Gateway OAuth Toolkit can be used on a Gateway with an embedded database only if MySQL is also available"

Given that the OTK can use other DBs for its storage (tokens, clients etc) why does MySQL have to be "available"? The pretext to this question is that we'd really like to do away with MySQL.

Regards

- Steve

• 2.  Re: OTK requirement for MySQL

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 09:59 AM

Hi Steve,

The Gateway can run with an embedded Derby database as opposed to using MySQL.

While the Gateway can run using this embedded DB the OTK still requires a local MySQL database to operate.

If you are not using the embedded DB you are free to use Oracle, MySQL or Cassandra for the OTK.

The embedded database should only be used in testing/demo scenarios only.

Regards,
    Joe

• 3.  Re: OTK requirement for MySQL

Posted Jun 02, 2017 04:57 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response but I have to admit I'm still a little confused. The docs do not mention that the embedded DB should only be used in non-prod environments. In fact the doc says the following:

"The embedded database is designed for environments where it is not possible to have a separate MySQL instance. For example, your security policy may forbid operating MySQL or any other network-accessible SQL database, even on localhost."

This describes my environment so you will understand why I'm interested.

Maybe I can rephrase the question: with the embedded DB for policy and Cassandra to store OTK artefacts can I do without MySQL in my environment?

Regards

- Steve

• 4.  Re: OTK requirement for MySQL
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2017 03:54 PM

Hello Stephen,

If I understand this correctly you have a Gateway environment and an external Cassandra database to store OTK data.

The scenario you describe in the documentation around an embedded MySQL DB to use is simply talking about the Gateway's own embedded MySQL database that is used solely for Gateway operations/policies. You can choose to use this embedded database for your OTK database in non-production or testing environments.

So I think your question is asking if you need a separate MySQL DB in addition to the embedded Gateway MySQL DB and your external Cassandra DB -- the answer is NO, you do not need another MySQL DB. This is because the only DB OTK really needs for token storage/usage is your Cassandra DB.