Clarity

• 1.  Data Refresh

Posted Jun 06, 2017 06:26 AM

Hi,

I want to do data refresh from Production environment to development environment to keep both environment in sync. Could someone help me with the steps to carry out this operation as this is my first encounter with data refresh? Currently we are with CA PPM v 14.3 On Demand. Any idea on this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Monica

• 2.  Re: Data Refresh
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 06, 2017 06:47 AM

Hi Monica, 

If you are an On Demand customer of CA PPM application. Then you do not have to do anything. All you need to do is create a case in the CA Support Side and mention the Source and Destination PPM environmnet alongwith the preferred time, if any. CA has a dedicated team to carry out these kind of operations. Let me know if this answers your concern.

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar

• 3.  Re: Data Refresh

Posted Jun 06, 2017 01:14 PM

Please keep in mind your corporate security standards about copying production data to a lower environment (Dev, testing, etc). I know that in a lot of organizations this is forbidden, or requires some sort of senior management approval. 

• 4.  Re: Data Refresh

Posted Jun 07, 2017 01:22 AM

Yes Michael, I have noted your point and would make sure the approval is acquired to perform data refresh.  

• 5.  Re: Data Refresh

Posted Jun 06, 2017 07:32 PM

Hi Abhisek, is there a way to migrate the data only (not the config)? It makes it difficult for us to test functionality around core elements like an OBS related to resources if there is a mismatch between what is live in PROD versus what is in our TEST or DEV environment which could be up to 6 months old. We have struggled with this and have had to execute quite labour intensive XOG processes targeted by functional component in specific order. A complete database refresh would overwrite any development config and put us back to square one.

• 6.  Re: Data Refresh

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 11:55 AM

If you have made configuration changes, loading the data only could be problematic because of changes made to attributes.

Best practice would be to refresh the development and test environments from production after you update production and before you makes changes for the next update.

• 7.  Re: Data Refresh

Posted Jun 12, 2017 07:44 PM

Thanks Janet. Challenge has been for us that when we are caught in the situation where the DEV and TEST environments have a greater amount of config in them than PROD, we are cautious about blowing away any build work in our pre-PROD environments. We will only be living in this situation a little bit longer as our TEST environment was also being used for UAT / Training, but will get back to environment discipline soon.

• 8.  Re: Data Refresh

Posted Jun 07, 2017 01:21 AM

Great, thank you Abhisek, that info is suffice. I will create a CA ticket and would follow up with it.