DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  CA UIM SUpports Agent X protocol

Posted Jun 06, 2017 07:05 AM

Hi,

Can you please let me know  if CA UIM supports any of the three Communication ways:-

The communications between SCS and NMS require an SNMP Master Agent application that is compliant with the AgentX protocol. If your NMS does not contain such an application, you can use Net-SNMP (release 8.5.1 and later) and/or Genesys SNMP Master Agent to integrate the Management Layer into your NMS.

Thanks

Ayush

• 2.  Re: CA UIM SUpports Agent X protocol
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 06, 2017 07:41 PM

Not sure of the others ..but you should be able to discover and manager Net-SNMP  agents in UIM with snmp as the communication protocol. One way of managing it by using snmpcollector probe 

• 3.  Re: CA UIM SUpports Agent X protocol

Posted Sep 07, 2017 11:44 AM

Hi Phani,

If you can clear one f my doubt.

I am using SNMPGET probe to convert snmp-traps into alarms.

We are monitoring Genesys environment where we can onitor them using agentz or SNMP master agent or NET-SNMP.

So I am using SNMPGET probe to collect data fro MIBs.

So do I need to install this NET_SNMP anywhere or with probe I am getting that.

I am not clear

Thanks

• 4.  Re: CA UIM SUpports Agent X protocol

Posted Sep 07, 2017 07:27 PM

Hi Ayush,

I did not exactly understand your question , could you please clarify bit further?

Net-SNMP is a snmp agent which actually runs on the server which you are trying to monitor , I understand you are using snmpget probe to communicate with Net-SNMP running on the server to monitor the destination server 

This might help you with some understanding 

Tutorials - Net-SNMP Wiki 

• 5.  Re: CA UIM SUpports Agent X protocol

Posted Sep 12, 2017 10:35 AM

now I understood that Net-SNMP needs to be present on the server where we will communicate with the probe.

In the SNMGET probe we need to configure SNMPv3 as SNMP version and a user and port.
    I want to understand the user we need to put here should be what level user??

Server level user or Application level user.

Thanks

• 6.  Re: CA UIM SUpports Agent X protocol

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2017 10:41 AM

It's SNMPv3 user, not server or application user:

RFC 3414 - User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3) 

SNMPv3 doesn't use community strings like SNMPv1 and v2c.  In SNMP v1 and v2c, you only had two roles/users:  read-only and read-write.  In SNMP v3, you configure users/roles on the agent where you can restrict what portions of the MIB tree that those users can access and permissions.  Then you can have different authentication methods (passwords) along with that.