Rally Software

• 1.  How do I create a Custom Global List?

Posted Jun 06, 2017 05:10 PM

Good evening. I'm new to AgileCentral and I need to connect to a list of our customers from within different work items. I'd like this to be a dynamic list that I can either connect to an XML or excel file or import as needed. I previously used TFS and was able to manage this via a global list that I called Customer. I would import the new list of customers and my custom customer list would update in my User Story and Defect work items. Is this possible and how? This was a manual process, but it took less than 5 minutes. I report on custom reporting and bug fixes for customers.

Thank you for your help.

Nikki

• 2.  Re: How do I create a Custom Global List?

Posted Jun 08, 2017 08:07 AM

Nikki, what you're describing would be a custom field in Agile Central. There's actually an application in Agile Central called a Custom List so folks like me in the community may not immediately understand your question. Custom fields have to be defined by work item type so if you have a custom field called Customer that applies to stories and defects then you actually need two fields. The names can be the same- they need only be unique in the context of the work item type.

As to updating them from an external data source, I can't offer any suggestions there. There's no way in Agile Central to connect to an external data source for field definitions. I'd imagine that there's some way to programatically manage the values in a custom field through the WSAPI but that's outside my expertise and there's definitely no way from the UI to handle that except by a manual copy/paste exercise. 

Hope that helps.