CA Service Management

• 1.  Service Desk Manager Docker image

Posted Jun 08, 2017 11:52 AM

Hi community,

Anyone have experience creating a Service Desk Manager (Service Desk, Catalog, USS, EEM, etc) docker (Docker - Build, Ship, and Run Any App, Anywhere ) image. I work with 20 clients many hosted in my company cloud and I'm testing new forms to made Service Desk deployment more quickly than installing all applications, this can work too to made dev and test boxes more quickly.

I'm no expert in docker but think that this is better than have VM clones (less HD space, more resource efficient)

Regards,

Pedro

• 2.  Re: Service Desk Manager Docker image

Posted Jun 08, 2017 02:58 PM

Excellent idea... Docker take more and more place in the world of virtualized environnements. 

Getting a basic image of Service Management produts would be really effective. 

• 3.  Re: Service Desk Manager Docker image

Posted Jun 09, 2017 02:47 AM

no much experience in docker (yet )  so can't really help here...

but interested to see where you will land and looking forward to see your experience with that and if you come to a practicable and robust solution

Regards

/J

• 4.  RE: Re: Service Desk Manager Docker image

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2020 06:53 AM
    Docker Images are now available with CA Service Management r 17.3 .
    We released a docker/kubernetes deployment option, detailed instructions documented on techdocs here: 

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-3/Docker-Containers.html

• 5.  RE: Service Desk Manager Docker image

Posted Sep 01, 2020 03:59 AM
    Hi Pedro.
    The key knowledge needed, is more related to kubernetes.
    Kubernetes (k8s) provides the "new" "infrastructure" for a container based SDM environnent.
    I fully agree, that having SDM in an k8s enviroment, is the way to go mid and long term.
    However, Kubernetes might have its challenges as well.
    Having a SDM cluster in AA setup with BG/SB and some app server technically upgraded in 10 minutes, is just one advantage, beside many others.
    Deploying a new app server is a matter of 5 minutes, having it setup with all configurations, customizations, Load balancing , health check, etc., without a service outage.
    It also provides the ability, to move into the cloud, which offers additional convinience, like automatic cluster maintenance, auto scale, etc..
    Sure , its a different concept, and you have to learn a lot. But don't we have to do that anyway?
    Regards
    ...Michael

------------------------------
    Principal Services Consultant
    HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany
    ------------------------------