CA Service Management

• 1.  CA Software Asset Manager Master Catalog Challenges

Posted Jun 13, 2017 06:29 AM

I have the following data as per our MLS Report:

Product DescriptionLicense Product FamilyPart NumberTransaction Quantity
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALExchange Server Standard CAL - Device CALW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALExchange Server Standard CAL - Device CALW06-0002244
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSkype for Business Server Standard Device CALW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALWindows Server - Device CALW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSystem Center Configuration Manager Client MLW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSharePoint Server Standard CAL - Device CALW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSystem Center Endpoint ProtectionW06-0002244
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSharePoint Server Standard CAL - Device CALW06-0002244
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSkype for Business Server Standard Device CALW06-0002244
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSystem Center Configuration Manager Client MLW06-0002244
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALWindows Server - Device CALW06-0002244
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALSystem Center Endpoint ProtectionW06-0002280
    CoreCAL ALNG LicSAPk MVL DvcCALW06-0002244

Under the same Article Number,We have two different quantities.

I have these Following Questions:

1. How can I add this license in my SAM system as there are 2 different Transaction quantities? I can't add 2 licenses with the same article Number.
    2. In the Master Catalog, Windows Server - Device CAL, System Center Endpoint Protection,System Center Configuration Manager Client ML are not in the Scope of Product for this Article Number, How valid is the Master Catalog?
    3. If I update the Scope of Product in the Master Catalog, Is this not going to be updated in the next Update of Master Catalog?
    4. Is this recommended to update the Master Catalog?
    5. Do I need to update the Contract in licenses in CA SAM everytime when the Contract Expires and the contract Moves on with a New Vendor?

Chris_Hackett Any knowledge/Suggestions around this?

Regards,

Sahil

• 2.  Re: CA Software Asset Manager Master Catalog Challenges

Posted Jun 13, 2017 04:41 PM

Hi Sahil,

What SAM release are you using and what is the zip file name of the last catalog you've updated?  I can check to see if you need a newer catalog.  I'm researching this further for you.  

• 3.  Re: CA Software Asset Manager Master Catalog Challenges

Posted Jun 20, 2017 04:40 AM

Hi Gale,

I'm using Sam Version 4.1.5.

The name of Catalog is catalog_ca_none_4_1_5_cat_v4_7_1

Regards,

Sahil

• 4.  Re: CA Software Asset Manager Master Catalog Challenges

Posted Jun 16, 2017 12:19 PM

Hi

So for me that is not the right MLS data all the part numbers is the same I suspect that it is the actual transaction list.. I believe that you well need to look in a different tab to find the actual Consolidated count.

#2 The Catalog is keep up to data every Month, ther will be small things here and there but in general Microsoft is pritty comprehensive. Again i believe that the sheet you are looking at iossome transaction or something becaurse you typically only have one name to a SKU/Article, and the a1 or more Products attached.. Also remember the downgrade plays a part in this when matching Demand with Owned Licenses

#3 It all depends on how you do it. If you lock it by changing the data source it will not be overwritten.

#4 Either you have to update the catalog or if it is a common Article and License you can open a case with support so we can add it to the master catalog.

#5 In general you should set that expiring Contract to Expired and add a new contract when you negotiated that.

Hope it helps

Kim

• 5.  Re: CA Software Asset Manager Master Catalog Challenges

Posted Jun 20, 2017 04:37 AM

Hi Kim,

I observed that the Transaction Quantity is divided into two Parts, I believe this is probably because of reselling of Licenses by Vendors. I'll have to recompile the sheet to add the Licenses. However, I can't upload the sheet directly into the system by Import directly.

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards,

Sahil