CA Service Management

• 1.  Knowledge Management Document Attributes

Posted Jun 14, 2017 06:26 AM

Afternoon

I am in the process of investigating the implementation of Knowledge Management for a client and need assistance with the following that I am not able to understand.

When creating a knowledge document there is a portion where you can update Document Attributes.  This allows you to complete, amongst others, the following fields:

- Assignee / Author / Owner

My questions are as follows:

1.  What is the need for these fields to be populated?  Are there other processes that run off this information that it is required and if I do not complete them, what will potentially not work.

2.  The documentation says that the Assignee field contains the contact to which the document is assigned during the current approval process task.  In the approval process that I built, I did all the assigning to Groups, yet my name appears in this block.

3.  What would happen if I changed this name to someone else?

4.  The document also says that you can have a different Owner for each step of the approval process.  In the approval process that I built, I am unable to define an owner at each step, so how is this done.

5.  Can these fields be used as variables in an approval process, allowing one to build a generic process, which is then managed by the values that are entered into these fields.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris Saunders

• 2.  Re: Knowledge Management Document Attributes

Posted Jun 14, 2017 08:22 AM

Hi Chris,

1. What is the need for these fields to be populated? Are there other processes that run off this information that it is required and if I do not complete them, what will potentially not work.

ANSWER: The attribute fields such as Assignee, Author, Owner are used to specify WHO is responsible for that document to review it as part of a knowledge approval process that you would put in place. The assignee would typically do that. The Owner of the document would typically be notified when the doc-review date comes up, and would decide whether or not the document is still relvant, needs to be updated, or needs to be retired. I believe these fields are required in most cases, so you would not be able to leave them blank.

2. The documentation says that the Assignee field contains the contact to which the document is assigned during the current approval process task. In the approval process that I built, I did all the assigning to Groups, yet my name appears in this block.

ANSWER: Most likely this is because you are the only person in that group. When you say "appears in this block" - can you be more specific about what field your name appears in?

3. What would happen if I changed this name to someone else?

ANSWER: Then that individual (or group) would become responsible to reivew and approve the document (or is responsible for the current task that is waiting within the approval process).

4. The document also says that you can have a different Owner for each step of the approval process. In the approval process that I built, I am unable to define an owner at each step, so how is this done.

ANSWER: You can do this when inserting tasks into your approval process, OR by updating tasks that exist - there is an assignee field on each task. You can assign those tasks to different contacts. Here is an example:

5. Can these fields be used as variables in an approval process, allowing one to build a generic process, which is then managed by the values that are entered into these fields.

ANSWER: I am not sure I completely understand this question - are you asking to have it as dependencies, such that when a certain value is in one of those fields on the document attributes, it drives a certain task in the process to be assigned to them? If so, I believe you can set the responsible party for the task when performing an update on a document (reworking it) - it will ask you who should review it (i think this is only if the process is not being enforced - if it is then it would not ask), so I dont think you can drive this dynamically unless you are not using an approval process at all. There is no logic to do an "if this, then that" behind the scenes using those fields.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,

Jon I.