DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Monitoring Jetty server

Posted Jun 15, 2017 08:29 AM

Hi,

I'm need monitoring Jetty server, but I didn't find any doc about it, I guess it's pretty similar to another servers, but I'm not sure where to put the arguments:

set JAVA_OPTS= %JAVA_OPTS%  -javaagent:C:\CA\Agentes\IntroscopeAgent-jboss\wily\Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=C:\CA\Agentes\IntroscopeAgent-jboss\wily\core\config\IntroscopeAgent.profile -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=Jetty

because it doesn´t have  a *.bat startup file like tomcat or jboss.

Could you help me with it please?

Thanks in advance!!

• 2.  Re: Monitoring Jetty server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 08:39 AM

Dear Osvaldo:

There is another Community thread on this that gives clues. Please let us know if that is helpful. 

Hello CA APM team, I would like to know if a specific CA APM agent do exist in order to monitor a Jetty server ? If not, is there a way to adapt a JAVA agent so that it will work with Jetty ? 

Do others especially APM customers and CA resources have anything to add?

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Monitoring Jetty server

Posted Jun 15, 2017 10:37 AM

Hi Germán,

I've read that post bit it's not enough clear forma me

• 4.  Re: Monitoring Jetty server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 10:53 AM

Hi Osvaldo:

I found a recent case that had the following. If that fails to work, please open a case to pursue the answer. You may ask follow-up questions if needed:

name of installer:
    Introscope Default Agent Files-No Installer r10.0.0.0

You now have a Tomcat agent installed. May I ask you to please remove the current "wily" folder for the Tomcat agent, and replace it with the "wily" folder from the Default Agent above?

We also need to configure the Jetty startup script. I see the following Jetty startup script template:
    https://gist.github.com/peterc/404672

The Java flags can be added to this section:

# JAVA_OPTIONS
    # Extra options to pass to the JVM

The following versions are supported on APM 10.0:
    Jetty 8.1.9
    Windows 2008
    only Inprocess is supported

• 5.  Re: Monitoring Jetty server
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 05:29 AM

Hi Osvaldo,

As previous responses, you can use the default agent.

Regarding how to enable the agent:

Is jetty running as a standalone app or it is bundled with some specific appservers? I found various references in internet, to summary, I think you have the below options:

a) pass the wily javaagent argument when starting the  Jetty server. For example:

java -javaagent:/<agent_home>/javaagent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=/<agent_home>/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.profile -jar start.jar

b) use the jetty startup configuration file, edit the start.ini file then add the following lines:

--exec
        -javaagent:/<agent_home>/Agent.jar

c) Add the wily jvm arguments to the beginning of the jetty.sh file.

java -javaagent:/<agent_home>/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=/<agent_home>/core/config/IntroscopeAgent.profile ...

I suggest you to review the documentation/manuals of your jetty version for exact steps how to configure any additional jvm options

I hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Sergio