Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

MQ Services take long time to stop

• 1.  MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 21, 2017 04:28 PM

Hi,

I am using DevTest version 10.

I have a performance VSE which has several MQ services and web services. When I want to stop or remove the MQ services from VSE, it takes a long time. But it doesn't happen with the web services. Also restarting the VSE service takes a very long time once I deploy MQ services in it.

Please advice as to how I can reduce this time.

Regards,

Saman

• 2.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 04:57 PM

Hi Saman,

Is your MQ service using the MQ deprecated step? If so, then the default timeout in the Subscribe is 30, which causes the VS to stop slowly. It is recommended to 5 instead of 30.

• 3.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:26 AM

Hi Prema,

I am using the IBM MQ Native protocol...

I still checked the timeouts though. The only timeout that was 30s was associated with Live Invocation Step --> Live response receive. Do you think that will make any difference if I change it?

Regards,

Saman

• 4.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 22, 2017 06:37 AM

Hi SamanM

What is the capacity you were using for the MQ virtual Service.

Based on my experience , you will experience this issue because when you stop the MQ Service you cannot remove it until all the readers on the queue were down.

You may try verifying this by making the capacity as 1.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Venkatesh

• 5.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:30 AM

Hi Venkatesh,

I tried changing the capacity before stopping the MQ services. I get below error:

How can I change the timeout for setConcurrentCapacity method?

Regards,

Saman

• 6.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 22, 2017 11:17 AM

Will you be able to see the readers on the queue , and try removing the MQ virtual service after all the readers are down.

Thanks,

Venkatesh

• 7.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 22, 2017 06:48 AM

Saman,

Did Prema's and Venkatesh's recommendations help you out regarding this issue?

• 8.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:31 AM

Hi Reid,

Thanks for your concern. Working on it...

Regards,

Saman

• 9.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 23, 2017 04:19 PM

Hi Reid,

My question is answered.

Thanks & Regards,

Saman

• 10.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 22, 2017 12:20 PM

What kind of capacity are you using?  With the IBM MQ Native protocol it has a max poll period of five seconds, regardless of any other timeouts.  This means it should take an average of 2.5 seconds to shut down each thread in your service.  The only way I can explain it hitting the 60 second timeout is if your capacity is greater than 24, which is approaching counter-productive unless you have 12 or more cores on your VSE machine.

Try modifying your VSM.  Go into the 'Listen' step and enable the 'PRO' button at the upper right corner.  Find the 'Scope' field towards the bottom of the step and change its value to 'Staged'.  This will force all threads in your VS to share a single connection and polling process, making shut down much faster.

• 11.  Re: MQ Services take long time to stop

Posted Jun 23, 2017 04:19 PM

Hi Kevin,

We have a pretty powerful box (20 cores) and yes my concurrent capacity was also set to a high value. But after I changed the Scope from model to stage I realized the shutdown was much faster.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Saman