Service Virtualization

• 1.  MQ Message Issue

Posted Jun 22, 2017 09:45 PM

Hello Kevin,

Can you please help me in this? We were provided a text file having response message that we are uploading in Lisa. But there are some ASCII characters that we are not able to see in Lisa and during testing we are facing issue that Lisa is sending bad message due to which all messages going to back out queue.

When I opened that response message file in notepad, it is showing as different symbol but in notepad++ it is showing what is exact. In Lisa , in response section I am uploading file directly without opening it or copy pasting the response. Still, these escii characters which is visible correctly in notepad++ not able to see in Lisa.

Do you have idea how we can achieve this so that Lisa can get exact copy what is visible in notepad++?

Please help urgently.

Cheers..

Shivam Garg

• 2.  Re: MQ Message Issue

Posted Jun 23, 2017 02:33 AM

If something doesn't look the same in Notepad and DevTest, even if you're just copy/pasting, then it contains more than just ASCII.

I have a lot of questions, but I think a few screenshots could answer most of them.  Can you show us what it looks like in Notepad and DevTest?

• 3.  Re: MQ Message Issue

Posted Jun 23, 2017 02:57 AM

Please find below:

Screen shot of note pad:

Screen shot of notepad ++ :

Screen shot as shown in Lisa:

• 4.  Re: MQ Message Issue
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 23, 2017 03:24 AM

Okay, I guess those are technically ASCII.  However, anything under 0x20 is an unprintable control character.  That's what Notepad++ is telling you with the weird black three-letter blocks.  The first character in the file is 0x02, otherwise known as the Start of Text control character, or STX.  There is no glyph for that character, you can't print it out.  The next one a little later is 0x17, End of Transmission Block or ETX.  That's some seriously old-school teletype data you have there.

Notepad++ opts to insert a placeholder for unprintable characters, but the viewers in DevTest just leave it blank.  However, in the binary viewer you can still see it's characters 0x02 and 0x17 if you look at the corresponding location on the left side.

Is there an actual application error being caused by DevTest, or is this just about DevTest not printing unprintable characters? 

FYI: If you're leaving the response body as binary in the VSI when you run your VS then that disables most of the magic strings functionality, it will always send the same response verbatim.  I just did a little testing and you should be able to switch your VSI response to text and it will preserve the control characters.  You won't be able to see them, but if you save, reload, and switch back to binary then they will still be there.

• 5.  Re: MQ Message Issue

Posted Jun 23, 2017 04:06 AM

Thanks Kevin for reply. We are doing same as you are suggesting. Actually they are saying that Messages that coming from Lisa is doggy one or not having all characters or info so it is going to back out queue. Let me check with them.

Can you please have a look on aonther thread I pasted please.?

Thanks..

Shivam Garg