DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Posted Jun 29, 2017 01:42 PM

Hi,

I believe this should be happening for every CDM probe out there, otherwise i have a serious problem with all the Linux distros in my customer's environment (RHEL and CentOs).

CDM is reporting disk percentage used or free based on disk size alone, ignoring the fact that there is a reservation space made in linux file systems, when not specified otherwise.

This is causing some desbelief issues, as the customer stating that Zabbix is better than CA UIM in every other way, because of such simple monitoring taks not working properly.

We tried the raw configure option in CDM probe where you can type "Yes" for an option called "Use disk system values", and then you think it's fine but it isn't. It becomes clear that there is something wrong (maybe a hard coded usage %).

On low disk % you might ignore the 1% difference, but when you get disks with more used space, you'll start seeing that things are not what should be, with higher rates of % difference between the Linux System and what is being shown on CA UIM.

If there is an easy solution for that, or anyone else can confirm or help, thanks in advance.

I'll open a case for that also.

• 2.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 29, 2017 08:54 PM

• 3.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Posted Jul 10, 2017 03:08 PM

Hi Franklin,

Yes, we used that option called 'use_systemspace=yes', but the percentual values shown in CA UIM are still different than 'df -h', the percentage difference increases depending on your current disk usage. And there relies the main problem, because for the customer who bought the solution this is unacceptable.

• 4.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2017 09:17 PM

Hi Johncsi,

I have seen that the the probe provides exact values while df command shows roundoff while showing percentage which according to development is expected .Probe is providing exact values whatever is provided the system level api’s. May be internal implementation of df does a round off.

eg  /   37 %  in df and 36.22 % in ump

Please explore this further on support case where additional details /logs will be required for further analysis if you see greater difference 

• 5.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Posted Jul 11, 2017 09:27 AM

Thx Franklin, doing that right now! I'll share the results here.

• 6.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Posted Jul 21, 2017 01:44 PM

Hi Johncsi,

I am just curious to know if you opened a CA Ticket number for this behavior and yes, if you can share the Number.

• 7.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Posted Aug 23, 2017 11:20 AM

Hi Alex, yes we have a ticket!

So far, the answer hasn't been too helpful at all.

• 8.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 06:55 PM

Hi Johncsi

See this article about disk space on Linux

Unix/Linux cdm probe reports different percentage of the disk for system use 

Rubens.

• 9.  Re: CDM for Linux Disks - Wrong Percentage?

Posted Aug 29, 2017 08:22 AM

For those interested in the solution, i've answered it in this link idea Disk usage in cdm probe on Linux