DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  APM Database Upgrade

Posted Jul 06, 2017 08:35 AM

Is there any way we can estimate how long it will take for an upgrade of the APM database from one version to another? I am thinking of version upgrades for 10.x. We are using PostgreSQL as our database.

Thanks

Roger Meli

• 2.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2017 08:46 AM

Dear Roger:

This is going to be a "it depends" answer depending on how many/which releases are involved. The need to plan well is understood. 

This is what it says about restoring a database and I expect the same for an upgrade.

Upgrade the APM Database - CA Application Performance Management - 9.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks

Hal German

Restore the APM Database from the Backup File

When restoring a database, you create a database from the backup file. The new database has the username and password that you specify when invoking the restore script. The amount of time it takes to restore a database is directly related to the database size.

• 3.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Posted Jul 06, 2017 09:22 AM

Hal, it is more of a usability question.

We did an upgrade a few weeks ago and it just sat there doing the upgrade. We could see what is was executing but there was no feedback to say how much it had completed or whether it was really doing anything. No log files were being written to tell us progress or anything.

We have a limited amount of time in which to do an upgrade and we have no way of knowing if we are going to meet the allotted time span.

• 4.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2017 09:34 AM

Hi Roger:

A major OS upgrade has a message installing, please wait. I will pass this on to develop and tech Info

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: APM Database Upgrade
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2017 09:21 AM

Hi Roger,

This will depend on two factors.

1. The size of your current APM DB

2. If you use the "backup" feature to backup your database.  This is only available in the 10.x versions.

https://docops.ca.com/display/APMDEVOPS1052/Upgrade+the+APM+Database+on+PostgreSQL

Thanks,
    Matt

• 6.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Posted Jul 07, 2017 03:13 PM

For checking the status/progress on a APM Postgres installation/upgrade, try checking the logs as described in the following document during the installation/upgrade:

PostgreSQL Installation Problems - CA Application Performance Management - 10.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

In particular, schematools.log, if available during installation/upgrade, would have relevant information.

Francis

• 7.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Posted Jul 10, 2017 07:53 AM

Francis,

Thanks for that information. I am pretty certain that when we did the upgrade we chcked to see if any files in the install directory were being updated and nothing was. I can try doing the upgrade again and see what happens.

Thanks

Roger Meli

• 8.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2017 07:52 AM

Hello Roger, 

let me introduce the new feature released in ATC 10.5.2. We call it Database Lazy Loading and it is part of the bigger feature, which is Smart Migration (will be introduced in the near feature).

Lazy loading reduces EM downtime during the data migration especially for APM 10.0.0 and 10.1.0:

Former installer implementation migrates all data (vertices, edges, states) at once during upgrade.

New implementation

• migrates just vertices, edges and live states data during upgrade (part of installer)
    • history states data are migrated in runtime on background

For APM releases 10.2 and higher shouldn't be problem to migrate the data.

Independently of the real size of the PostgreSQL Database we guarantee migration of the DB in 10 minutes (without backup).

If you running your environment on Linux, I would recommend to wait couple weeks on the fully new EM upgrade.

Thanks, 

Zaneta 

• 9.  Re: APM Database Upgrade

Posted Jul 10, 2017 07:55 AM

OK Zaneta. We will wait then.

Roger Meli