DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  No Frontend - .NET App Pool

Posted Jul 07, 2017 12:43 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I have an application where I have two app pools. The request comes to first app pool and  sometimes goes to second app pool, depends on request. The second pool is mainly for serving webservice calls coming to it and also integrating with another third party app.

I do not see Frontend node for second app pool. I see backend calls and webservice calls coming to it. Is that expected to not to have a frontend node?.

For example, one use case is

From app ppol 1-> there is a request going to http://<host>/app_pool2_context/ABC.svc. I can see the stitched trace.

But the second app pool trace starts from its Webservice node and not its frontend node (its doesnt have a FE node).

Geethu

• 2.  Re: No Frontend - .NET App Pool

Posted Jul 07, 2017 12:44 AM

please find the attached screenshot

• 3.  Re: No Frontend - .NET App Pool
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 01:13 AM

Hi Geethu,

I believe this is working as designed i.e. for .NET apps you will only get a Frontend if you have an ASP.NET page as entry point and in this case the Web Service is the entry point in the 2nd layer of the app.

Regards,

Lynn

• 4.  Re: No Frontend - .NET App Pool

Posted Jul 07, 2017 02:50 AM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually these two app pools are in application server. There is another web layer that hosts aspx pages.

Sometimes, the request goes from web->app pool 1 -> app pool 2, and sometimes from web ->app pool 2.

Is it only asp.net page considered as frontend for .NET app?

Geethu

• 5.  Re: No Frontend - .NET App Pool

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 07, 2017 05:28 PM

Marking as correct. But I expect Lynn and others to answer the follow-up question. You may ask additional questions as well.,