DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  vCenter services monitoring

Posted Jul 10, 2017 08:39 PM

Hi All,

We are trying to monitor vcenter services but we dont seem to find any probe which does vcenter appliance monitoring. 

I have tried vmware probe to monitor the vcenter services but it doesnt seem to have that option available. Have also tried rsp probe to monitor the vcenter services but it doesnt work. I am using root account on the rsp probe but doesn't seem to work.

Would like to know how is everyone monitoring the vcenter appliance services?

Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  Re: vCenter services monitoring

Posted Jul 11, 2017 01:37 PM

Herin

Appliances always make things interesting and I have been finding this out the hard way recently. Sometimes it requires a different approach. When we have the vmware probe poll the vCenter instance to collect performance data isn't it indirectly verifying that the vCenter instance is functional? If the service is not running wouldn't the vmware probe then raise an alarm to say it cannot get to the API? Indirectly the potential exists to achieve the same things. With appliances that is often the route we have to take.

• 3.  Re: vCenter services monitoring

Posted Jul 16, 2017 06:55 PM

Thank you for the explanation.

• 4.  Re: vCenter services monitoring
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2017 02:16 AM

There does not seem to be any probe which can go monitor service/process on VCSA (vCenter Server Appliance).

VCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) is using SUSE based console.

Even though RSP probe supports SUSE monitoring remotely, it does not imply RSP probe to be able to monitor a process in VCSA.

Yu

• 5.  Re: vCenter services monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2017 10:36 AM

Hello Herin,

you may consider to raise an idea in this community to get this reviewed by product management to consider it for a future release.

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

CA Support