DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Custom Classes -.NET

Posted Jul 11, 2017 12:38 AM

Hi,

I have a requirement to monitor a .NET application and the customer wants to monitor around 75 custom methods. Because they face slowness for specific business use cases.

I am wondering whether instrumenting 75 methods is a good move . The problem is , customer says, every method needs to be monitored , else its difficult to know the flow.

Can i use BlameMethodTimer and StalledMethodTracer for each method , so that I get the same benefit as BlamePointTracer (just that I dont have other 3 metrics). and I get the traces for these methods as well.

Please comment.

Geethu

• 2.  Re: Custom Classes -.NET

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 09:12 AM

Hi,

Both should give you insight into what you are looking to do.  In reviewing what each one does, I can't see any reason why using them alone would not be ok.  Adding Hiko_Davis and Guenter_Grossberger for any additional insight.

Thanks,

Matt

• 3.  Re: Custom Classes -.NET

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 11:02 AM

Hi Geethu:

Sharing in APM Developer Community as well. 

Thanks 

Hal German

• 4.  Re: Custom Classes -.NET
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 11:06 AM

I don't believe the number of metrics generated by this will be a problem IF you look at the current metric load of your EM or EM cluster.

I would, however, recommend including Errors Per Interval counter via ExceptionErrorReporter so that you don't miss exceptions happening in the call stack.

• 5.  Re: Custom Classes -.NET

Posted Jul 11, 2017 11:10 PM

Thanks Hiko.

I understand from metrics perspective.

How about the load in application server if I implement the same in production server?

• 6.  Re: Custom Classes -.NET

Posted Jul 12, 2017 12:35 AM

Hi Hiko,

According to docops, ExceptionErrorReported is supported only for Java agents.

"A per interval counter based on the number of exceptions being thrown (i.e. uncaught) from the identified method(s). If an exception is thrown, the error message is based on the return value of the getMessage() method called on the exception object. In order to capture the error message, must be used with a WithParameters Directive, otherwise will only increment the Errors Per Interval metric. To see error messages, requires ErrorDetector, otherwise will only increment the Errors Per Interval metric. Requires Agent be at 6.0 or later. Blame is implicit. Supported on Java Agents.
    Default Metric Name: Errors Per Interval"

What can be done for .NET agents?

Geethu

• 7.  Re: Custom Classes -.NET

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 11:33 AM

Marking as answered with Hiko's response. Follow-up questions are welcomed if needed