Clarity

• 1.  Converting Idea to Project (What about the hours)?

Posted Jul 11, 2017 01:14 PM

Is there a way to transfer hours logged to an idea converted over to the project when the project converts?  Building out the idea (business case, ROI, etc.) should be included in the overall project cost so I'm not sure I understand the theory behind keeping them separate.  Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Converting Idea to Project (What about the hours)?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 11, 2017 02:26 PM

One can make the idea a child of the project.  This way, costs/hours of idea will roll-up to project, yet be kept separate.

Would be nice if one had the option of transferring the costs/hours as you suggest.  I think the theory behind keeping them separate is that the ideation process is separate cost from the project process – the two processes do different things:

•   One evaluates whether the project fits in the strategy, is feasible, etc.

•   The other produces the output desired.

•   The teams working on each process may consist of entirely different resources.

Some would consider the Ideation process the first step of a project – one could would do that within a single project, where the first set of tasks would all be grouped under an “Opportunity Development” phase (summary task).  This is still an option for you if you really want all the costs and hours in one bucket.  If the resources for each process are the same, might be simpler to just create a project and add “Ideation” stages to your Stage attribute, along with the corresponding items on your WBS.

Just because the Idea object is there, doesn’t mean you have to use it.

Dale

• 3.  Re: Converting Idea to Project (What about the hours)?

Posted Jul 20, 2017 02:01 PM

Thank you Dale.  I appreciate the response.