CA Service Management

• 1.  CA Service Desk 17.0

Posted Jul 12, 2017 04:47 PM

Hello Community,

Now i have a customer on Service Desk 14.1 and they're evaluating the migration to CA SD 17.0. I'll like to know if anyone here has experience with the r17.0.

I mean if you have any issues with the migration, daily work, etc.

Regards.

• 2.  Re: CA Service Desk 17.0

Posted Jul 12, 2017 09:59 PM

I am working with an MSP customer who received the GA announcement for r17 just after I'd finished migrating them from 12.7 to 14.1.03 in DEV.  I did a trial migration on a sandbox and showed them the outcome and they were happy to proceed to r17.  Since I had already successfully merged their extensive customisations from 12 to 14.1, the upgrade from 14.1 to r17 has been almost trivial.  There appear to be minimal changes in the HTMPL between 14.1.03 and 17, so there was very little rework involved.

I've also recently taken a smaller (and much less customised) client from r12.6 direct to r17, again with no significant issues.  Tell them to go for it :-).

Regards,

James

• 3.  Re: CA Service Desk 17.0

Posted Jul 13, 2017 08:50 AM

I agree with James here - I have done a few test-upgrades to R17 myself and so far it seems to be pretty smooth.  There is also a new tool included with R17 called the Upgrade Utility which automates the merging of custom forms.  You can read about that here: Customization Upgrade Utility - CA Service Management - 17.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Keep in mind, you will need to make a copy of some directories from R14 prior to doing the actual upgrade as the utility will need those in order to do the comparison and merge.  So take a look at the pre-requisite section prior to doing anything

Hope this helps,
    Thanks,

Jon I.

• 4.  Re: CA Service Desk 17.0

Posted Jul 13, 2017 11:19 AM

Indeed the migration works well. I tested it from an environment in 12.9. The migration worked very well towards the v17. As we are in a francophone environment, I was afraid to see the behavior during the migration but I must say that the tool does an excellent job. Now we have to adapt our orientations with the arrival of Xflow and USS since we were in 12.9 .. the biggest novelty is with this change. Our customers are accustomed to switch directly to Service Desk and service catalog ... so USS is welcome but must adapt the change.