DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  APM TC - backends not visible

Posted Jul 13, 2017 04:08 AM

Hi - we are just starting with TC, EM version is 10.5.1, agents at 10.1

We are using a universe based on an attribute rule that filters out, by a reg-ex, a subset of our agents running small APIs. This universe has been set up to allow us to "play" with some of the TC functionality.

What we have noticed is that many backends don't appear on the map.

This view shows one of our APIs - web service backends are being detected, but many more are not 

Why do the backends we see in the Investigator view not appear in the map ?

• 2.  Re: APM TC - backends not visible

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 04:51 AM

Hi Dave,

My understanding is (and I am ready to be corrected here) that for backends to be displayed on the Map they need to be called by a frontend that appears on the Map. So if the missing backends are called only by items identified as Automatic Entry Points then these will not appear as Automatic Entry Points are not placed on the Map by design.

Let me know if this explains your situation

cheers

Mike

• 3.  Re: APM TC - backends not visible

Posted Jul 13, 2017 05:08 AM

I think you may be right, but as we move to micro service type architectures there may well not be "frontends" - e.g. the calls come in via web services calls. So I think we will need these to appear on the map whether there is a frontend or not.

Is that being looked at in Product Development.

• 4.  Re: APM TC - backends not visible
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 05:21 AM

Hi Dave,

That I am not sure about - I would suggest raising an Idea that way you can solicit support for that functionality

cheers

Mike

• 5.  Re: APM TC - backends not visible

Posted Jul 13, 2017 10:15 AM

Hi Dave,

Web Services should be frontends already.  Since you mentioned that some backend web services are also not appearing, I would surmise that you're using a web services library we're not recognizing.

Sean-McCammon, can you work with Dave to figure out which library is in use?

Regards,

Tim