CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Knowledge Base Article usage report

• 1.  Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Jul 19, 2017 05:59 AM

do we have any mechanism where we can check if the Service Desk User has viewed the Knowledge document and can we also pull a report of how many user are referring(view) the knowledge document.

we are using the CA Service Desk(14.1) knowledge base feature.

• 2.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Jul 19, 2017 06:19 AM

Hi kunal,

I think there is a OOTB 'Knowledge Card Report'. Check if this cannot help to address your query:

Knowledge Management Reports and Metrics - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Jul 19, 2017 09:25 AM

can we also enable event log for contacts which can help me track how many kb he or she created or touched.

could you help me know how to do it.

• 4.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Jul 19, 2017 09:49 AM

Hi Kunal,

I dont think there is any trigger in place to have an event logged for when a user creates or updates a document.  You would have to write a report against the activity log or history of the docs themselves, then break it down by activity type, then group it by the user that performed that activity on the document.  Outside of that, there is nothing out of the box that I know of which would do something like that.  Its a great idea - i would highly recommend posting this with a business case as an "idea" here in the community.  I think it would get a lot of votes from folks!

Thanks,
    Jon 

• 5.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Jul 26, 2017 08:13 AM

Hi Jon_Israel please take a look at the screen shot provided, as shown here i am trying the pull the log for a specific user to find if he has open the knowledge document or not but i don't see any result , could you let me know where exactly i could find the log or enable to the log.

• 6.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Sep 26, 2017 12:15 PM

Here's a slightly bastardized query I wrote for our people.  Change the Start_date and End date variables to limit the timeframe in question.

BU_Trans stores the KB doc transactions.  Skeletons contains the KB article details.  ca_contact is the user info.

I have not done a deep dive into BU_Trans to see what other info is available but you can definitely start with this and then expand from there as you dig into the data.  The below will show all people who have accessed any KB article between 9-20-17 and 9-24-17  (since I'm doing < end) and also list how long they had it open.

DECLARE @start_date datetime
    DECLARE @end_date datetime
    DECLARE @start_date_int int
    DECLARE @end_date_int int
    Set @start_date = '2017-09-20'
    Set @end_date = '2017-09-25'
    Set @end_date = @end_date + 1
    Set @start_date_int = dbo.LocalDateToSDTime(@start_date,-5,1)
    Set @end_date_int = dbo.LocalDateToSDTime(@end_date,-5,1)

Select ca_contact.userid, ca_contact.first_name, ca_contact.last_name, BU_Trans.id, user_id, dbo.SDTimetoLocalDate(bu_date,-5,1) "Transaction Date", kd_duration, skeletons.id "KB Doc ID", skeletons.title "KB Title"
    from BU_Trans With(NoLock)
    inner join skeletons With(NoLock) On BU_Trans.doc_id = skeletons.id
    inner join ca_contact on bu_trans.user_id = ca_contact.contact_uuid
    Where bu_date > @start_date_int and bu_date < @end_date_int

• 7.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Sep 26, 2017 12:17 PM

You're going to have to replace the LocalDateToSDTime  functions though.  Those are custom functions we added to our database to convert readable English time stamps into GMT epoch time stamps that SD uses for date comparisons.  So you'll need to come up with your own conversion for that part of the query.  Sorry about that.

• 8.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Sep 26, 2017 12:18 PM

thanks let me try that

• 9.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Sep 26, 2017 12:24 PM

FYI, same for the SDTimetoLocalDate function in the Select statement.  That's another custom function in our DB to convert SD time stamps to something readable.

• 10.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Sep 27, 2017 06:55 AM

thanks a lot that worked for me

• 11.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2017 09:33 AM

Hi Kunal,

As per our discussion, I confirm you that the date format stored in the Data base is unix time stamp and you can always convert it to human readable format with the available scripts mentioned earlier.

• 12.  Re: Knowledge Base Article usage report

Posted Oct 02, 2017 01:54 PM

Hi Kunal - sorry for the delayed response, I was pulled into some things and was not able to respond last week.  That said, i see many responses here that are really good.  Are you all set with this one?  If so, can you mark the best answer as "correct answer"? 

Thanks,

Jon I.