DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Posted Jul 20, 2017 01:46 AM

Hello experts!

I am facing issue in how to calculate the heap size for Wily Host Agent of Wily Introscope9. We have a SAP Solution Manager (Dual stack) 7.1 SP12 with over 100 managed systems.

In the Introscope Webview→Investigator I can see 80 servers with

process name='SAP HostAgent Process' an agent name 'SAP HostAgent <SMDAgent_nstancename>'

Only for Solution Manager itself it has another process name='SAP NetWeaver`

In this case, how I should calculate and set the Introscope heap size? (using -Xmx and -Xms)

Now it is set to Xms13312m -Xmx13312m because in the Installation guide it said below

"for up to ten agents, the default configuration using 512MB Java heap (about 1GB main memory) will suffice. For about twenty additional agents, add 512MB of Java heap to a total of 1024MB (allow 2GB main memory)."

but agent here means Introscope Java agent i guess?? then I have only one java agent which means I have too much heap size set for my system... I understood wrong that every agent (Java agent or WilyHost agent)is same for the above calculation..

The installation guide says below about Wily Host agent

"The host adapter generates less load on the Enterprise Manager than a normal agent. For this reason, it should not be included with the same weight in the memory sizing calculation above."

So any information or tips how to decide how much heap size i should have??

Sorry for unsummarized text...

Any answer would help! Thank You!

• 2.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2017 02:38 AM

Hello,

It sounds like you have a single standalone APM/Wily Enterprise Manager (EM) hosting all the SAP agents rather than a cluster (MOM EM & Collector EMs) - correct?

In general the EM sizing is more driven by the workload from the number of metrics rather than agents as some agents will generate more metrics than others. Other factors also come into play like Workstation usage, calculators & reports.

Not sure if you have seen the latest 10.5 documentation which covers various aspects of sizing?

APM Sizing and Performance Guide

Here are some example Introscope Only examples for different OS platforms

Examples for Sizing for a Single Enterprise Manager Running Either Introscope-only or Standalone CA APM

To help with checking if heap is over spec'd these 2 KBs cover the EM log perflog.txt which has a column Performance.JVM.FreeMemory, so you can check how low that value gets.

What do the fields in Perflog.txt mean? 

How to perform an APM Cluster Performance Health Check. 

(For a standalone EM where you see Collector you can infer standalone EM)

Hope that helps to get you started. Other colleagues & community members may have more specific advice.

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Posted Jul 20, 2017 09:31 PM

Hello, Lynn!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes we have a standalone Wily Enterprise Manager not clustered EM.

Thank you for sharing so many useful documents, I have gone through every document.

I have few questions...

1.How do you get the total number of your Enterprise Manager?

2. In the Examples for Sizing for a Single Enterprise Manager Running Either Introscope-only or Standalone CA APM

does applications mean in my case connected managed systems?

3. in the perflog.txt, Performance.JVM.FreeMemory fluctuate between 890 and 1900 when my Max heap size is set to 13 GB

Can you provide any suggestions from this? I understand it depends.

4. Can I estimate that all what I see in the Introscope WebView > Investigator tab is what connected to Introscope?

Sorry for bunch of questions...

Best Regards

Zaya

• 4.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2017 11:04 PM

Hello Zaya,

Do you mean how do you decide if you need a cluster of EMs instead of a Standalone EM? It depends on what functions you want to use and the workload. For an Introscope-Only environment like you have it comes down to the agent/metric load & user load as to whether you can spec a standalone EM with adequate resources like heap (which may not be the only limiting factor) or eventually need to migrate to a cluster of EMs (MOM+Collectors) because of the volume of agents increases beyond what a single EM can cope with.

2. In the Examples for Sizing for a Single Enterprise Manager Running Either Introscope-only or Standalone CA APM does applications mean in my case connected managed systems?

Yes. Typically 1 application = 1 connected agent

3. in the perflog.txt, Performance.JVM.FreeMemory fluctuate between 890 and 1900 when my Max heap size is set to 13 GB. Can you provide any suggestions from this? I understand it depends.

On the face of it that sounds like the heap is adequate and not over spec'd & I would suggest leaving as is because even if a little over spec'd it will allow for growth in connected agents. Typically any performance related problems would be seen when UI functions start to break which is when Support need to review logs & perflog.txt in more detail to advise on EM heap and other property changes to improve the performance.

4. Can I estimate that all what I see in the Introscope WebView > Investigator tab is what connected to Introscope?

Yes. The hostname|agent nodes in the Investigator/Metric Browser represent what is connected to the EM.

Also related to EM performance if you use Investigator/Metric Browser and go to the EM connections nodes you can view various Supportability metrics:

*SuperDomain*|Custom Metric Host (Virtual)|Custom Metric Process (Virtual)|Custom Metric Agent (Virtual)|Enterprise Manager|Connections

This doc section covers it:

CA APM Performance Monitoring Using Supportability Metrics - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technolog… 

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn

• 5.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Posted Jul 21, 2017 04:25 AM

Dear, Lynn

Thank you again for detailed reply.

I am so sorry I meant to ask How do I get the total metrics number of EM? In Examples for Sizing for a Single Enterprise Manager Running Either Introscope-only or Standalone CA APM it takes metric number into consideration for sizing.

2. 3. 4. Thank you for an answer.

I want to ask another question if it is okay..

My colleague deleted 9 managed system from Solution Manager (from Wily). We expected that the heap size Wily uses would be reduced a little bit. But it did not change. Is this because we already declared the Max heap size as 13 GB and even though some agents got deleted, the heap size will not change because ...?

Regards

Zaya

• 6.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 08:25 AM

Hi :

Marking as answered since the responses from Lynn appear to be helpful.  Lynn_Williams  or others will respond on your latest question.

Thanks

Hal German

• 7.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 09:19 AM

SAP RTV and SED are a bit different than standard APM. When it comes to doing JVM calculations, I would recommend you read the SAP documentation before confusing yourself with APM.

Now if you're just talking about the heap setting for Introscope, then the same holds for either RTV/SED or APM. Their troubleshooting and tuning guide makes the same recommendation for that.

• 8.  Re: Introscope Heap Size Calculation (regarding Wily Host Agent)

Posted Jul 23, 2017 08:33 PM

Hello Davis

Thank you for the reply!.

I went through SAP documentations on Intrsocope but most of the parts regarding sizing says to have a look on APM Sizing and Performance Guide.

And yes! I am talking mainly about heap size. And Ok! Thus I will use the APM's tuning guide to solve my problem. Thank you again for clarification.

Zaya