Top Secret

• 1.  How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?

Posted Jul 20, 2017 06:09 PM

While doing cleanup chores my eyes happened to light on a recently-created ACID that I don't remember creating.  I looked at it more closely: It has "CREATED    = 07/11/17", "LAST USED  = 07/17/17" and "ATTRIBUTES = VSUSPEND".  Still curious, I ran TSSUTIL for this ACID and the past 12 days...and got RC=4.

How is it possible for a recently VSUSPENDed ACID not to have any violations showing in TSSUTIL?  Anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  Re: How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?

Posted Jul 21, 2017 12:26 AM

What does TSSAUDIT CHANGES show? It could indicate the point of time, when VSUSPEND was added to the acid.

• 3.  Re: How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?

Posted Jul 21, 2017 02:43 AM

Hello Robert, Hello Josef,

Your acid has been probably created by the MSCA, or the MSCA has added the VSUSPEND attribute to that acid.

It's why there is no violation reported within the TSSUTIL report.

The TSSAUDIT "changes" should show who has created/changed that acid adding the VSUSPEND attribute.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely, Jacques.

CA Support

• 4.  Re: How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?

Posted Jul 21, 2017 02:31 PM

I'd never run an AUDIT listing before (yeah, I know, long past time), so I figured it out today.  Turns out my coworker created the ACID; he used to be a mainframer but nowadays he usually works on other things, so I didn't expect that.  The VSUSPEND was added—according to TSSAUDIT—by the victim herself:

CHANGER    DATE     TIME   SYSID TYPE                      COMMAND/IMAGE
      ENHRS01  07/17/17 13:28:21 KMC1  PW   TSS REP(ENHRS01 ) PASSWORD(???????
      ENHRS01  07/17/17 13:47:29 KMC1  CMND TSS ADD(ENHRS01 ) VSUS            

I would normally suppose that's a little TSSAUDIT fiction that means she did something to incur the suspension—but as I said, TSSUTIL claimed (and still claims) there were no violations by her ACID during that time period.  So still puzzling, but I know more today than I did a few days ago.

• 5.  Re: How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 04:01 AM

Hi Bob,

I made some tests this morning:

When an acid gets suspended either for too many password violations or resource violations. The TSSUTIL should report a set of violations and the TSSAUDIT should report the following in either case: 

MYACID2 24/07/17 07:54:53 XE52 CMND TSS ADD(MYACID2 ) PSUS

MYACID2 24/07/17 08:40:31 XE52 CMND TSS ADD(MYACID2 ) VSUS

Then I would suggest to open a case to investigate more in what you are reporting.

Sincerely, Jacques.

• 6.  Re: How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 07:39 AM

Good morning Bob,

I think this question has evolved into more than just a quick community question and that you should open a case and send in a listing of the acid along with the TSSUTIL report you ran against it.  We'll take a look and hopefully can figure it out quickly.

Have a wonderful day!!

~Eileen~

• 7.  Re: How does an ACID get a VSUSPEND without showing up in TSSUTIL?

Posted Jul 25, 2017 04:20 PM

Opening a case might be a fine idea...if I had any hope of being able to recreate the situation.  We have since removed the VSUSPEND, and whatever weird set of circumstances occurred to trigger this situation are (it seems to me) unlikely to recur now.  I'm not sanguine about the possibility of figuring out what happened.

If this happens again I'll definitely reconsider.  For now, I'm inclined to give it up as just one of the mysteries we encounter once in a while.