DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  One or Many Differential Analysis Control?

Posted Jul 20, 2017 03:14 PM

Hi,

I'm defining, for an implementation whether to use a single Diff Analysis Control object, as in Default Management Module, or have a Diff Control for each module.

Is there a performance difference for each option?

For the sake of triaging, I think it's clearer to have different controls, since you'll be refered from Team Center to the control, or an alert with all metrics in that control, for that module.  In the case of Default Module, i.e., you will see metrics, but maybe not the one you are searching for, because of the 100 metrics showing limitation.

Regards,

Roger

• 2.  Re: One or Many Differential Analysis Control?

Posted Jul 21, 2017 03:06 AM

One aspect of sizing is the size of variance.db.  (there could be other aspects too but this is one that I can think of):

variance.db Disk Space Calculation Example

The variance.db file should rarely exceed 400 MB. The equation for estimating the variance.db disk space requirement uses the following inputs:

• Number of metrics being baselined because of the enabled configuration (Differential Controls)

Here are the equation variables:

M = number of unique metrics being baselined, live and historical combined

D = required disk space (bytes)

You can estimate the variance.db disk space requirement using this equation:

D = 20000 * M

Here is an example:

Metrics = 5 K unique over time (both live and historical combined)

The variance.db file size = 20000 *  5000 = 100,000,000 bytes = 95 MB.

You can see the current number of baselined metrics in each collector from the following supportability metric custom metric agent.

Enterprise |Baseline Engine: Total Metrics Baseline (count)

Please check the total metrics baseline count to see if there is a difference as a result of the two options you presented.

Francis