Layer7 API Management

• 1.  RSA key signature

Posted Jul 24, 2017 09:59 AM

Trying to integrate with partner from CA API gateway 8.2.01 rest service but the partner requested me to follow below steps:

1. Generate a RSA key pair (public key and private key).

2. Share the generated public key with the partner.

3. Create signature by signing with the help of generated private key and json request (which gateway supposed to send to the partner) as input.

4. Send the created signature (base64encoded) as part of json request.

5. Once response is received from the partner validate the signature with the help of partner's public key.

.I am able to create 2048 RSA key pair using some key generator tool but need to know whether gateway can create the signature using the generated RSA private key? Also whether gateway can validate the signature sent by the partner along with the response?

It seems like partner is using java to follow the above method.

Sample request with signature:

{"request":{"head":{"version":"8.2.1",},"body":{"productCode":"123456"}},"signature":"OcZJDbwMEDULpWp7uPSdDCRfrvV+t2r4XvUP4Bxh98O94fbXEdNBHX10PzWrDbZf5tsFdKLT+oWtNHC1eU8uB0S2T7jgfq9pspXTtOwmP6clOprelYVOrJwuWC0yz5UWG8IOyxVQ9wZs5z5H8b3XZTwr3D4rJ3NPI5xasWFrTzVnFPl8OOL2CeT5AoH0RZ+K1WfNpEOI/o9vkKbNIALWRXMa0R5EQOYs6wbBC4TaILhPkF9mfpDOqG9ty3x5LpK6L1RhlQT3h9XgxNxNGkMuUJbfmkWlVNf56zsCbsN7cPGsnVWTaw4ScvWanvx54rQOdO12x/PLkyR/IOprhBdMNQ=="}

Again, listing out the questions below:

1. Whether gateway can create the signature using the generated RSA private key?

2. Whether gateway can validate the signature sent by the partner along with the response?

3. Any custom assertion will work?

Additional note: I guess above method is nothing to do with ssl, certificate, etc.

Thank you!

• 2.  Re: RSA key signature

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 12:52 AM

Hello Karthick.Sundaresan ,

The Encode JSON Web Token Assertion should be able to sign the json payload,

Encode JSON Web Token Assertion - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

but I am not sure if it is available on gw 8.2.01, if you cannot find it, there should be a relevant tactical assertion, please open a support ticket for it.

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: RSA key signature

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2017 04:06 PM

In addition to what Mark mentioned w/ the Encode JSON Web Token Assertion, you can also decode/decrypt a JWT using the Decode JSON Web Token Assertion.

You can also use the (Non-SOAP) Verify XML Element Assertion to validate the signature if stored into a context variable if that fits the use case.

Likewise if you needed to create the signature on the Gateway not using the Encode JSON Web Token Assertion, you could do so with the Sign Element Assertion (followed by the Add or Remove WS-Security assertion to apply the signature to an outgoing request).