DX NetOps

• 1.  Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Posted Jul 24, 2017 09:15 AM

Hi All,

Just a question for anyone who uses SBGW integration. We have some traps coming in from 3rd party tools and currently I use pingable models to act as placeholders. I don't have any contact with the said devices so the model stays blue in initial mode.

Is there a better way to do this? Pingable models will try to poll the IP in question. I know you can disable polling but what do you guys do - is there a better way to do this? Would be nice to have some model=types which stay green as I run rest queries looking for anything that is not condition = 'Normal' and this breaks some of my script logic.

Anyone care to share their experiences how they do this?

Thanks,

Frank

• 2.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 09:18 AM
      |   view attached

Does the EventAdmin model not give you what you need?

• 3.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Posted Jul 24, 2017 09:56 AM

I have EventAdmin models, but once the EventAdmin model sees it I want to forward the alarms to a model that represents a device!

• 4.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 24, 2017 10:18 AM

And that model would be an EventModel. Its status is Normal once it gets created. This way, you can have the condition set to Normal. You said that if you have Pingables, those are in Initial state, unless you're able to get ICMP access to the device.

If you want to monitor a Pingable device and you don't have yet ICMP access to it, you can create it, change the IP address to one that is responding, the Pingable model would be then activated and change its status to Normal from Initial. Then you can go back to the original IP address and you'd have an alert on the Pingable. This is an workaround I found when having to monitor devices that are not physically installed yet.

• 5.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Posted Jul 25, 2017 06:37 AM

Thanks CatalinF,

Did some testing and seems this is a great way to do it. I've always been using Pingables, but will change my ways! Thanks for the suggestion!

• 6.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 04:21 AM

The following document show step by step how to achieve your objective.

Creating a Southbound Gateway Demonstration - CA Spectrum - 10.2 and 10.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 7.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Posted Jul 25, 2017 06:36 AM

Thanks Sangtoki,

I've done all of that already - I'm on the last bit where I want to forward traps from the EventAdmin to the EventModel. The EventModel seems to work and will be using that instead of the Pingable model type!

• 8.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Posted Jul 24, 2017 09:18 AM

Why don't you use EventModel?

• 9.  Re: Placeholder models for SBGW integration

Posted Jul 24, 2017 09:55 AM

I've seen event models created automatically, but wasn't aware I could create these and move then under containers. Will have a look around and see what the options are. Thanks.