DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

CDM AC Options in CFG now?

• 1.  CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 11:42 AM

Hello, so I was playing about with the latest CDM probe (v6.10) and turning on most of the Network and Disk options thru the Admin Console Configuration GUI. I noticed that in that robots cdm probes folder, there was no Template folder and that the AC options were located in the cdm's CFG file? 

Is this new or was this recently added in this version? Or was this always the case where if the probe didn't make use of Templates, then the cfg's settings that were set in the AC dialog were placed in the probes.cfg file? 

I was under the assumption that since the option to turn on the Network monitoring and the extra Disk metrics were only available thru the AC that those metric options were kept in some AC folder under the probe's directory.

• 2.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 07:09 AM

Hello.

We usually have template folders for agentless probes, such as snmpcollector, vmware.

I am sure that AC brings changes on cdm.cfg directly.

• 3.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 04:40 PM

Hi Yu, Is there a way to enable "Calculate Basline" for all the metrics we specify in the flat cfg file? I noticed it wasn't enabled, then I went into the AC and enabled it on a few things but the CFG afterwards was the same.

• 4.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 26, 2017 08:49 PM

Hi, Daniel.

Unfortunately, baseline_engine probe which resides on a HUB (which manages your robot) is responsible for "Calculate Baseline".

Therefore, it is not being controlled over cdm.cfg

Although it is not out-of-the-box tool, there is a tool in community space which might help you.

Tech Tip: UIM Thresholds Management GUI 

• 5.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Posted Jul 27, 2017 11:10 AM

So what detects if the "Compute Baseline" option is checked off on a cdm probe's specific metric? 

Example:

I want the "Compute Baseline" option checked off on all these metrics I have enabled. Is there no way to do this thru the probes cfg file?

If not then what exactly is modified when someone does check this off and how is this stored determined?

• 6.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 28, 2017 07:55 AM

Hi, Daniel.

You can remove all the "Computer Baseline" not only metrics off CDM probe but also all the metrics off all the probes on robots in under specific HUB.

Please go to HUB server which takes care your robots and do the below.

1. Deactivate PPM probe on the HUB

2. Deactivate baseline_engine probe on the HUB

3. Rename <baseline_engine>/cache_dir/metricset.txt.zip to something else.

4. Activate PPM probe on the HUB

5. Activate baseline_engine probe on the HUB

• 7.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Posted Jul 28, 2017 02:50 PM

Hi Yu,

I don't want to remove it. I want to enable it on all the cdm metrics. 

"Is there a way to enable "Calculate Basline" for all the metrics we specify in the flat cfg file? I noticed it wasn't enabled, then I went into the AC and enabled it on a few things but the CFG afterwards was the same."

You got what I was asking for backwards. Checked off in a check box means enabled.  :-)

I have a package in our archive that deploys the cdm probe and enabled a bunch of metrics. I want the baseline option to be enabled. Since we can't specify in the cfg how can we enable this be default in the AC for the cdm probe?

• 8.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 30, 2017 09:39 PM

I am very sorry.

There is no out of the box features to turn on "Baseline" on all metrics.

• 9.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Posted Aug 07, 2017 10:27 AM

Anyone else understand what I'm asking... 

What actually changes when someone checks off that "Compute Baseline" check box on any metric? If it something in the probes cfg file that gets changed or is it something else in the probes directory? That's what I'm asking.

• 10.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 12:34 PM

Daniel -

When you select the "Compute Baseline" check box on any metric, after you save the configuration a BASELINE_CONFIG message is sent to the baseline_engine probe on the hub managing the robot where the monitoring probe (like cdm) is installed.  The met_id of the metric that you enabled baselining for is included in this message and added to the metricset.txt.zip file in the baseline_engine probe's cache_dir directory.  Nothing is saved in the probe's .cfg file or in any other file associated with the probe where you enable baselining for collected metrics.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Kathy Maguire

• 11.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Posted Aug 07, 2017 01:40 PM

Yes thank you Kathy!

So enabling that across the board would still have to be a manual thing done thru the AC on every metric on each probe. 

But thank you that answers my question.

• 12.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 01:52 PM

Daniel -

Yes and no.  You can also look into using the utility suggested in the Tech Tip: UIM Thresholds Management GUI listed earlier in this discussion, or use the command line option to create baselines and thresholds found on the following baseline_engine Wiki page:

Create Baselines and Thresholds for Probes Using a Command Line

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Kathy Maguire

• 13.  Re: CDM AC Options in CFG now?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 10:20 PM

It is good to see this article to understand how AC interacts with monitoring probes and baseline_engine probe.

Duplicated alarm coming from celerra / clariion probe 

This is common on all probes using baseline_engine based thresholds/baselines.