CA Service Management

• 1.  Is there a way to use the 'Display Name' from LDAP as the user's contact name in Service Desk manager?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 08:24 AM

We have multiple users who go by a second name but due to legal reasons and company policy their full legal name must be entered into AD.  This causes some confusion when incidents, requests, and change workflow tasks are assigned by user's outside their groups.  Most other products we use recognize the display name and I have seen the other posts about rearranging combo names but I could not determine how to pull the display name to.

I realize this may not be possible as the display name is one field and the First name/Last name are two separate fields but I just want to see if anyone else has run into this and come up with a solution.

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to use the 'Display Name' from LDAP as the user's contact name in Service Desk manager?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 08:58 AM

Hi Richard,

I think what you are referring to in Service Desk is the "combo name" field - which is a field in the obejct layer that combines First and Last name fields. That field is populated dynamically based on the first name and last name fields, and it cannot be changed separately from those.

Unfortunately you would have to add a new field to the contact object, and then map that field to the display name field in ldap.  The new filed would store that value from LDAP.  You would then have to add that field to the relevant forms to display that value.  It may be a bit complex to do in certain forms.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to use the 'Display Name' from LDAP as the user's contact name in Service Desk manager?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 09:15 AM

My colleague and I were thinking of something similar like stopping the combo name from being auto generated and then just supplying that field with the display name info.  We will discuss your suggestion as an option with our business owner and see what we can do.

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to use the 'Display Name' from LDAP as the user's contact name in Service Desk manager?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 26, 2017 09:40 AM

You wont be able to stop the combo name from being generated - additionally that value is used in MANY places throughout the product.  We do not recommend making any changes to out-of-the-box functionality.  The only thing that would be supported would be to add an additional field to the contact table called z_ldap_display_name or something similar.  Then use the ldap.mod file to map that new field to the display name field in ldap, so when ldap sync or ldap import is run, or a contact is merged manually from ldap to SDM, it will pull the display name value from LDAP and put it into the new custom field in SDM.   Then you can add that custom field to all of the forms that you want to see it on.  

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to use the 'Display Name' from LDAP as the user's contact name in Service Desk manager?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 10:17 AM

Thank you for clearing that up about the replacement.  After some discussion it was pointed out that the extra field would need to be added to multiple forms and even after it was set and could be pulled from AD, the original First name/Last name would be filled in as the combo name for Requested by, Reported By (log_agent), Assigned to, etc.

We will most likely not be moving forward with this change and will direct the IT groups to make procedural changes.