Dear all Service Management Community Members,
It has been brought to our attention today that Cumulative Patch #4 for CA Service Desk Manager 14.1 has introduced a piece of code which is unfortunately creating export files which are not able to be opened by Microsoft Excel.
The code is forcing the export files to have a file extension of ".xlsx" which would associate with Microsoft Excel, however the file content does not match expected content type for that extension, thus Excel will refuse to open the file. This will occur on any export file created by hitting the export button on any list form within CA Service Desk Manager.
We have identified the cause of the problem and our engineering team will be creating a "hot fix" for this within the next few days. We do have a workaround that can be put in place for the time being until the hot-fix is available to officially fix the problem.
To put the workaround in place, please follow these steps:
- Download the "fix_export_issue_after_CP4.dat" file from the attachments in this community post, and copy it to your CA Service Desk Manager Primary or Background server
- Open a command prompt window, and navigate to the directory where you have directory where you have copied the "fix_export_issue_after_CP4.dat" file
- Run the following command: "pdm_load -f fix_export_issue_after_CP4.dat"
- When the load completes, run the following command to refresh the table cache: "pdm_cache_refresh -t usp_exlist_format"
- Log into CA Service Desk Manager and do a search from any list form (for example: go to Search > Contacts, then click the Search button to return a list of contacts), then click the Export button
- The system should export a ".xls" file which you should then be able to open using Microsoft Excel without a problem
This will resolve the problem for the time being until the hot-fix is released to permanently fix the issue. Please stay tuned for an announcement regarding the delivery of the hot-fix.
Sr. Principal Support Engineer
CA Technologies - Global Customer Success Team