DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  How to monitor vss - volume shadowstorage?

Posted Jul 27, 2017 05:28 PM

Hi,

We want to deploy a VSS (volume shadowcopy storage) monitoring, but we already receive the information that there is no probe for this feature.

So we are trying to create this monitor by LOGMON, using Command "vssadmin list shadowstorage" and filter the information that we need. The following command output is :

All we need is collect the allocated space percent, so I try to make some filter to show only this line:

In logmon, I'd create a new profile using Command and set * to Match Expression in Watcher Rules. Then I create vss_usage variable in source position column 8, but the tool reads the parentheses and don't understand the information, sending wrong data for the QoS table.

I've make some tests using file instead command, and I try to simulate the output without parentheses, and it works. So, anyone knows if there are some regex in Match Expression of Watcher Rules that isolate the parentheses and take only the percentage variable? Or if there are some configuration to do that in Format Rules?

Regards,
    TR

• 2.  Re: How to monitor vss - volume shadowstorage?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2017 10:17 AM

so the problem is that you could have the following values

(#%)

(##%)

(###%)

Which makes the regex very difficult to pull out just the numbers

You might need to setup a format rule to capture the each line

then us a regex such as below to match the percent section.

\(\d+

this should capture numeric value from the percent no matter how many digits it is.

hope this helps

• 3.  Re: How to monitor vss - volume shadowstorage?

Posted Aug 03, 2017 01:20 PM

Thiago!

Could you please share with us the workaround that you did to Monitor the VSS?