CA Service Management

• 1.  Background Server Reconfigure

Posted Aug 02, 2017 10:12 AM

Hello Team

We are using sdm 17 with advance availability feature. We need to restore old mdb which consist our old tickets to extract report

my question is. In Advance availability , we cannot reconfigure Background sdm server until failover.

sdmbg is my background server

sdmapp is my application server

sdmstandby is my standby server

sdmdb is my db server

now I'm not able to run configure after mdb restore on sdmbg server as it is giving error "You cannot reconfigure active background until failover"

now.. what the solution of it? sd the sdm services already stopped and I cannot convert my bg server into standby.

Please advise

• 2.  Re: Background Server Reconfigure
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 02, 2017 10:19 AM

Did you attempt the steps here, based on the "swing box" method? The concept would be the same:

Upgrade CA SDM Using the SWING Box Method - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

1. Create an SQL backup on the SWING system, and let your database administrator perform an SQL Restore onto the SQL instance that your new production system is using.
      For more information, see Step 2 procedure and execute the steps 4-7.
    2. If you are using the Advance Availability configuration, complete the following steps or skip to step 4:
      1. Ensure that you have installed the following components:
        • (Oracle) client is installed and net service name is configured to connect with the new database server.
        • (MS SQL) MS SQL client is installed.
      2. From the DBCleanupUtility folder of the installer DVD, run the following script:
        • (Windows) ResetSDMuspServers.bat
        • (UNIX) ResetSDMuspServers.sh
      1. Follow the steps that are provided in the script (it might need database credentials).This utility deactivates all the servers present in usp_servers table.

• 3.  Re: Background Server Reconfigure

Posted Aug 02, 2017 02:51 PM

Hi Aamir,

The steps that Alex provided are the proper steps to replicate prod to test/dev.   You should be following those.  However, if pdm configure wont run on the current background, just run it on the standby server, then failover to the standby (making it the new background) and then run configure on the orignal background, then fail back to it.  

Thanks

Jon