AutoSys Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

• 1.  Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 07, 2017 05:34 PM

Hi

Ca Workload Automation DE R12

Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

How can I tell if a resource is still in use?
    How can I tell if a resource was not released by another job?
    How can I know which resources are in use and who has them?

regards

• 2.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2017 12:10 AM

• 3.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 08, 2017 12:41 PM

Thank you
    For this version is not available -
    CA Workload Automation DE R12

Regards

• 4.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2017 03:08 AM

Hi,

You can use the CLI command - LISTRESOURCESTATUS 

-> help LISTRESOURCESTATUS
    Usage: LISTRESOURCESTATUS NAME("name")

List a Resource status.
    Example:
    listresourcestatus name("RES1")

name <string>
    The Resource name.

Hope it helps!

Ravi Kiran

• 5.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 08, 2017 12:46 PM

Thank you
    I see this options from the CLI but I have many resources like to go one by one
    I need something in automatic that alerts me if any job does not release a resource I have already had several incidents with jobs that do not release the resource and I do not notice
    Regards

• 6.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2017 09:31 AM

Hi,

You may want to set OVERDUE in your jobs.  Any associated Resources with job will get released when the job has ran or completed.  The best way to see what Resource has been released is to get job information.

Here are couple of examples of CLI commands that can tell you about Resources and Job status.  The first command tells the status of Resource, and which job used them.  The second command shows the Job state.

cli deserver 7500 nitin mypass 'LISTRESOURCESTATUS NAME("MY_RES_")'

Resource MY_RES_ Renewable

The resource is active.

Availability: 0

MaximumAvailability: 10

Used: 1

1 used by CLEANUP_TRACELOGS, application HOUSEKEEPING_UTILITY.159

Reserved: 0

Needed: 1

1 needed by CLEANUP_TRACELOGS, application HOUSEKEEPING_UTILITY.160

cli deserver 7500 nitin mypass 'LASTRUN JOB('CLEANUP_TRACELOGS') APPLICATION("HOUSEKEEPING_UTILITY")'

CLEANUP_TRACELOGS

Job type:        UNIX

Start time:      

End time:        

Application:     HOUSEKEEPING_UTILITY.160

State:           RESWAIT  <- You see here that Job is in RESWAIT

Completion Code:

You can mix and match the commands to see what suits you and you can even script the above commands.

Here is a link for more CLI details.

Thank you,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies

• 7.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 10:45 AM

Hi Nitin!

Based on your experience, is it a good practice to place this OVERDUE on all Jobs?

It is complicated to be using the commands from the CLI since there are many resources that I have, the complication is that so many times I would have to run during the day so that I do not miss any.

Right now what I had to do was a view where I'm showing the Jobs that their state is RESWAIT but I'm looking for more I can implement to be 100% sure that everything goes well with the resources.

All of this arises because a job does not release a resource and we do not notice them until after a month, the resource that was not released is still not released is a generation that no longer exists, good for this subject I already have an open case (00811149: Resource not renewed in automatic) but I'm looking for more I can add to avoid this kind of incidents

Thank you

• 8.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 01:27 PM

We use custom views to monitor jobs in RESWAIT.  Have not had any issues since we starting monitoring that way.  I have a lot of custom views set for various things we have missed over time.  But because of that I am having a hard time wanting to switch to the WebUI.  I love my custom views and I love having them layed out so I can see them all at once.  In the WebUI you have to select the view you want in the desktop client they can all be open and viewable.

Sharon

• 9.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 04:14 PM

Thank you shimaneks

Forgive my ignorance that is WebUI?

sorry

What is WebUI?

regards

• 10.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 04:20 PM

The WebUI is a web interface to use like the desktop client. Not sure if it was ready for R12 or R12.1.  We went right from R11.3 to R12.1.

We had a several month period in R11.3 that jobs got stuck in RESWAIT, somewhere along the line they just stopped getting stuck and we were still in R11.3.  We have not had that issue in R12.1 at all.

• 11.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 10, 2017 12:46 PM

thanks

• 12.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2017 01:37 PM

Hi,

You can set OVERDUE to your critical jobs.  Setting to every job may be done, but if you are routinely facing an issue with job runs then you need to look at other aspects of your workload.  If all of your jobs are always coming late, then maybe you need to change run frequency or the time on the events.

------

I am not sure about how the application generation may have disappeared but the job would still be in Monitor.  The only way an application generation will get purged or removed if it was completed, which will also complete the jobs. So there may some other issue here.  

------

As mentioned, once a job completes your Resources will get released.  If for some reason a Resource has not been released, then you can also look in to resetting the resource.

RESETRESOURCEPROPERTY NAME("name") PROPERTY("property") [VALUE(value)]

E.g.

RESETRESOURCEPROPERTY NAME("RES1") PROPERTY("maximumavailability") VALUE(80)

Thank you,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies

• 13.  Re: Is it possible to have something in automatic that is giving me the information of the resources?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 04:17 PM

Thank you nitin
    Let me see that they solve me in the case
    regards