Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Customize health check service ssg/ping?

• 1.  Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 02:39 AM

Is It possible to customize the health check service ssg/ping like removing or adding some contents in it? I want to remove let's say build version from health check response page? Is it possible? 

• 2.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2017 01:57 PM

Hi so you had 2 items here with the ping page.

First removal second adding information.

For Removal its pretty easy you can do this without a lot of customization.

I have myself made a service "MyPingPage" on the gateway to call the ping page. And in my service I used a regex to only put what I want returned in a return template response to requester. 

For the addition of data I dont know of a "Supported" approach to doing this. Though I do know for most of the data it calls a .sh on the appliance. And in theory you can modify this script. But I would prefer for sup-portability that there is no modification to it.  So it might help if you want to expound upon what you are trying to accomplish, so we can determine if there is another better supported way to get it.

But it would be easy to build a /ssg/myping page,

And just remove the contents of,  "I want to remove let's say build version" in this method without making any modifications to the default script itself. And returning a response with only the data you want provided.

Charlie.

• 3.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Posted Aug 10, 2017 03:37 AM

Thanks, I tried that as well but the problem is when I try to route https://localhost:8443/ssg/ping/systemInfo?node=Gateway1 from myPingPage in the case to check detailed status of a node. It says 

"WARNING 1381 com.l7tech.server.PingServlet: Creds do not authenticate against any registered id provider." and fails.

Just to let you know that my pingServlet.mode=OPEN.

If I provide HTTP credentials of gateway admin in the HTTP route it works fine. But providing credentials of a user created by me in IIDP whose role is administrator, it doesn't works.

• 4.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 08:33 AM

Gaurav,

Are you sure your new user didnt get locked by a password change rule? Or there isnt a typo of the password.

My default ping page was using the default Admin user. I moved over to a different user (custom) which had only 1 role defined which was Administrator. It failed for me, BUT I noticed when I went back into the Internal IP that the user was locked. I unlocked it and ensured the password was correct and this custom user works fine now in my route command.

My default CWP value was pingServlet.mode=REQUIRE_CREDS  but I also changed this after success to, pingServlet.mode=OPEN and it continued to work. So a custom user with only the Administrator role should work fine and does for me.

Thanks.

• 5.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Posted Aug 10, 2017 09:08 AM

Hi Charles,

Have you tried opening the extended node status link  https://<domain>:8443/ssg/ping/systemInfo?node=Gateway1 with the new administrator user?

• 6.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 09:43 AM

Gaurav,

Yes.

I just copied your link into a Fresh Internet Explorer window.

Substitute <domain> for MyIP

I get a prompt for Cert.

I then Get a login

Supplied user "chuck"

And Password

Which has only 1 role Administrator

And I get the full ping page output.

Charlie.

• 7.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Posted Aug 11, 2017 01:34 AM

Hi Charles,

Thanks it works, but only after I login with that user in the policy manager and it asked me to change the password.

It looks strange to me that even the status of the user was Active still it was not able to access node status details page. But after login through policy manager, updating the password, and trying to access the service after this it works fine.

• 8.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Posted Aug 11, 2017 04:52 AM

Also, are you able to do the same if the user role is of operator and not of admin? Ideally operator should also be able to view this details page.

• 9.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2017 09:01 AM

Yes  Operator works for me but "Manage cluster status" only does not. If I remove all roles Administrator by iteslf, or operator by itself gets data.

• 10.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 14, 2017 06:18 AM

Hi Charles, 

Thanks. I got it working and the reason was I had "force password change for new user and reset" option checked for the password policy. Once unchecked it works like a charm.

Thanks,

Gaurav

• 11.  Re: Customize health check service ssg/ping?

Posted Aug 14, 2017 06:21 AM

issue resolved through support case