Test Data Manager

• 1.  Recommended way to create and then share connection profiles in TDM?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 12:11 PM

Is there a recommended way (set of steps) to create and then share connection profiles in TDM in order to retain correctness in both DataMaker and Portal (and further TDM components?) Create and share the entire process via. TDM Portal or via. DataMaker or a hybrid of the two?

• 2.  Re: Recommended way to create and then share connection profiles in TDM?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2017 12:32 PM

Eugene,

I believe the best way would be do the whole process using Portal so that it works on both Portal and Datamaker. You can create the connection profiles in Portal and assign the profile to user groups. Individual users can then be associated to the corresponding user groups so that they can use the connection profiles.

Thanks,

Anil

• 3.  Re: Recommended way to create and then share connection profiles in TDM?

Posted Aug 10, 2017 04:45 PM

I totally agree with Anil. We usually stick with DSN/TNS connections at Datamaker, Which is not supported at Portal. So, let Portal dictate the profile requirements, with that your profiles will work on both Datamaker and Portal.

Regards,

Artur

• 4.  Re: Recommended way to create and then share connection profiles in TDM?

Posted Aug 11, 2017 01:45 PM

I agree with previous posts.

The best practice to create a connection profile is to create them on the TDM portal. this will automatically can be seen as DSN less ODBC connection in Datamaker which can be used in self service catalog.

To share connection  profiles, its best to create a DUMMY data project/ with data  Group.  Assign TDM users(LDAP or non ldap users) to the dummy group. By assigning to group, it will share across both products.

• 5.  Re: Recommended way to create and then share connection profiles in TDM?

Posted Aug 14, 2017 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll try them out and verify integrity across Portal and DataMaker. Also FYI, here's a response I got from Support, 

1. Create profiles in Datamaker.

2. Share to Groups in Portal

3. In Portal, When you go to Publish, that is when you will see those profiles. Then and only then.