IDMS

• 1.  IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 10, 2017 09:36 AM

I wonder if it is possible to execute IDMS Simulate under a batch job against a CV that is already running? We do run a simulate when we start the CV but I want to run simulate separate from the startup. (Plus it seems overkill to develop and debug your Simulate commands using the startup job since I'll be starting, abending, stopping the CV multiple times to get it right.)

Also, can I run an ADSO program/transaction under the Simulate? I'd like to be able to validate an ADSO application in a batch job when we do maintenance and upgrades.

-Paul

• 2.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 10, 2017 12:04 PM

Hi Paul,

The batch simulation is covered Appendix E in System Operations.  You can run mapping mode transactions including ADS.  The line closes after it processes what you have in the input file at startup, but you can re-open the line and it will read the file again and process.  You could change contents in between executions.  The output goes to the CV job though.  It might be somewhat clunky to accomplish what you are after this way.  Generally a more sophisticated transaction simulator is required for that.  I've been in shops that have used Replay and TPNS but have not had access to this sort of product in some time.  It usually involves having a special copy of the database that is restored, that is in sync with the input that is created for regressive testing.  Takes a bit of work to set this up but can also simulate concurrent transactions.  Hope this is of some help.

John

• 3.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 10, 2017 12:17 PM

Paul,

Another possibility is use DCUF SIMULATE with UCFBatch, but I don't really remember how this works, it does seem to accept the command and produce screen output.  Perhaps there is an example somewhere, I couldn't find one.

John

• 4.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 10, 2017 12:36 PM

• 5.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 10, 2017 02:31 PM

Paul, do you mean the 3270 batch simulator? If it is the case, it is possible to simulate a 3270 transaction ( COBOL-DC, ADSO, PMAM, PMRM ) with a frozen scenario. Keyboard keys ( input, enter, PF3, ...) is simulated. It is quiet usefull to execute repetitive key typing in ucfbatch. Unfortunately the scenario is not flexible. I use it to activate PMAM ( Perfmon Application Monitor) online task on a batch way.

• 6.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 11, 2017 10:30 AM

Thanks folks. I am going to continue trying to get UCFBatch to work, then. I notice it takes input from SYSIPT instead of my SYSGEN-defined Simulate Input DD (which I have called SIMIN1). Perhaps UCF is the right approach, though.

• 7.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 11, 2017 05:32 PM

I got a little script to work with the employee demo application from UCFbatch:

DCUF SIMULATE
      EMPINQ%E      
    %C              
      BYE          

I also got some things working with our ADS applications.  It looks like line end generates and enter from what I could tell.

• 8.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 11, 2017 05:52 PM

Yes, apparently %E might only be needed from a TTY, end of line in UCF Batch generates an enter, this won't work for you, but this is an application script I have that runs thru some menus and a search in my QA system and then exits.

DCUF SIMULATE
      FADSU000      
    MITCHELL        
    %E              
    %E              
    %E              
    %E              
    %E              
    %C              
    %C              
    %C              
      BYE          

• 9.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 11, 2017 05:55 PM

p.s. where I had the %E lines a blank line produces the same result, but with no input the %E serves to show what is happening when you look at the script.  Man it's been a while, thanks for trip down memory lane.  I think the example I have stuck in my memory might have been in a class I took 35 years or so back.

• 10.  Re: IDMS simulate under batch

Posted Aug 11, 2017 06:10 PM

Model 4 example:

DCUF SIM 43X80
      OLP            
    %PF8             
    %C               
      BYE           

OK enough of this, lol...