Clarity

• 1.  Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Aug 10, 2017 02:37 PM

Referring to the question in CA PPM Office hours today about critical patch in PPM Gantt the legend looks like this

The project in the illustration has one resource assigned to each task and is autoscheduled.

There are no actuals.

To me the symbols look more like the Progress Through than Critical Path.

What do think does it look as expected?

Looking at the documentation

the image for the Progress Through is not very good and could use some enhancement.

• 2.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Aug 23, 2017 01:58 AM

Hi urmas,

I understand your point. May be you can raise an Idea for that. That would be best for you as those Ideas get reviewed by our Product Management team. So they can share their views as well on the same. Hope that helps. 

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar

• 3.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Aug 23, 2017 02:33 AM

Thank you Abhisek 

The question is do you see it the way I see it.

My track record for getting enhancements through ideas is nil.

It is much easier to get the documentation enhanced.

• 4.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:07 AM

Yes, I checked and would confirm that I see it that way only. 

• 5.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:43 AM

To get to the bottom of it how does your critical path look in the PPM Gantt?

• 6.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Sep 14, 2017 05:28 PM

Here is anothter screenshot. The bar which presents a task with actuals is the one with the little arrows, but that is not on the critical path.

• 7.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt

Posted Oct 18, 2017 04:43 PM

Hi Martti - We're you ever able to get an answer for this one? Thanks, Chris

• 8.  Re: Critical path in 15.2 PPM Gantt
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 19, 2017 05:03 PM

This came up during Office hours in August. After that I made the posts above and brought it up again during Office hours in September and the answer I got was @Martti: What you are seeing is the expected behavior. If you go look at the legend again, you'll see that there is a small green progress bar towards the top of the 'Progress Through Bar' icon. The forward looking arrows inside the blue bar is what indicates that this task is part of the Critical Path.  After digesting and studying the images for a while I can say

Yes with magnification I can see that I know what I am looking for the small green progress bar towards the top and the little white space under it after the act thru date.

So it is as designed. What was confusing to me was that what the legend displays for the critical is inside the bar as the bar is not displayed and that the bar where the legend has the progress displayed is also critical. Separating them would be ie. having a critical bar without the progress and a bar with progress without critical would be more clear.

This is another item in addition to the milestone baseline symbol that could be improved. As I wrote above the graphics in the documentation could also be clearer. The forward looking arrows could be black in the chart, the legend and the document, but now they are only a somewhat darker shade.

All critical tasks

For Comparison in OWB