DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

SNMP Collector in remote hub

• 1.  SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 10, 2017 06:08 PM

Hi team,

I currently have the probe snmp collector in a remote hub, in this hub I have deployed the following probes:

- SNMP Collector
    - CM_dat_import
    - Discovery Agent

The following is happening:

-When I run the wizard in USM, using the discovery agent of the remote hub does not find out anything.
    - When I run the wizard in USM, using the discovery agent of the primary hub discovers the network computers.

After this, in admin console, when I run the discovery query, I modify the address of the discovery server, to tell it to search the primary hub, at the end of the query, I discover the profiles of the devices captured in UMP.

But the profiles show me a "Profile failure state".

There is something in the procedure that is wrong, can anyone guide me?

Thanks,

Richard

• 2.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 10, 2017 07:21 PM
    -When I run the wizard in USM, using the discovery agent of the remote hub does not find out anything.

Did you configure the Discovery Queues on the remote HUB where you have the discovery agent running ?This could be the reason why you don't see anything returned 

Configure Discovery Queues - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 10, 2017 07:55 PM

Hi Phani,

Thanks. But, 

Yes, in the remote hub I have created an attach queue, and in the primary hub a get.

Regards,

Richard

• 4.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 08:12 PM

Hi 

When I run the wizard in USM, using the discovery agent of the remote hub does not find out anything

->What devices are you monitoring here and what snmp version protocol

->Is there access to monitor these devices from remote hub 

->discovery_agent logs on remote hub might  provide some information when you run discovery for this agent 

• 5.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 11, 2017 11:35 AM

Hi,

->What devices are you monitoring here and what snmp version protocol

Devices: Cisco

Version: Version 1, Version 2 and Version 3

->Is there access to monitor these devices from remote hub 

I do not understand this question.

->discovery_agent logs on remote hub might  provide some information when you run discovery for this agent 

the files discovery_agent, show this:

Aug 09 16:57:36:208 [main, discovery_agent] ****************[ Stopped ]****************
    Aug 09 16:58:02:888 [main, discovery_agent] JVM data model: 64
    Aug 09 16:58:02:900 [main, discovery_agent] ****************[ Starting ]****************
    Aug 09 16:58:02:900 [main, discovery_agent] 8.51
    Aug 10 10:43:21:830 [main, discovery_agent] ****************[ Stopped ]****************
    Aug 10 10:44:00:897 [main, discovery_agent] JVM data model: 64
    Aug 10 10:44:00:911 [main, discovery_agent] ****************[ Starting ]****************
    Aug 10 10:44:00:911 [main, discovery_agent] 8.51
    Aug 10 10:53:20:145 [main, discovery_agent] JVM data model: 64
    Aug 10 10:53:20:161 [main, discovery_agent] ****************[ Starting ]****************
    Aug 10 10:53:20:161 [main, discovery_agent] 8.51

• 6.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2017 03:28 AM

Hello Richard, in case there is a firewall between USM (UMP) and the remote hub with discovery_agent and snmpcollector you need to consider to open access to the controller port because wasp is accessing the controller to verify the version of discovery_agent installed on the remote hub.

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

CA Support

• 7.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 11, 2017 01:47 PM

Going back to the beginning of this, please note:

On small systems, the discovery_agent can be installed on the primary hub along with the discovery_server probe. On large systems where performance, connectivity, and redundancy are concerns, the discovery_agent probe can be deployed on multiple robots.

discovery_agent does not have to be deployed on the snmpcollector hub.

discovery_agent's ability to collect data is based on its ability to communicate with the target.

discovery_agent is not going to discovery itself only remote devices

discovery_server via discovery_agent collects data from various types of devices using various forms of authentication.

snmpcollector uses only snmp and will only collect data from devices with a snmp agent configured and the probe configured for the correct snmp credentials for that agent.

• 8.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2017 11:27 PM

Hi, Richard.

Your steps are almost correct except connectivity in between snmpcollector probe and your SNMP devices.

The below is an example.

1. Deploy snmpcollector probe on a remote HUB.

2. Deploy discovery_agent probe on the same remote HUB.

3. Configure discovery_agent probe (on the remote HUB) to discover your SNMP devices.

4. Configure path of discovery_server probe in the snmpcollector probe GUI.

5. Run 'Query Discovery Server'

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 9.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 14, 2017 10:43 AM

Hi Yu,

Thanks,

3. Configure discovery_agent probe (on the remote HUB) to discover your SNMP devices. 

When you tell me to configure the probes, you refer in to enter to configure it? Because I've tried that on different occasions, and it gives me an error, which I put in the case.

Thanks,

Richard

• 10.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Posted Aug 14, 2017 07:16 PM

When you tell me to configure the probes, you refer in to enter to configure it? Because I've tried that on different occasions, and it gives me an error, which I put in the case.

You would not be able to configure discovery_agent probe from config GUI , what the above referring to is the Attach and Get Discovery Queues configuration on the remote HUB for transferring the information collected by discovery_agent probe to  discovery_server probe

Configure Discovery Queues - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 11.  Re: SNMP Collector in remote hub

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2017 08:17 PM

Hi, Richard.

Thank you very much for response.

Sorry for having you confused.

In USM, please highlight discovery_agent (running on remote HUB) and launch Discovery Wizard to configure discovery setting for your SNMP devices.

There is no Admin Console GUI interface available for discovery_agent this is why PPM-012 error is returned.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani