Layer7 API Management

• 1.  policy migration

Posted Aug 10, 2017 11:34 PM

Hi There,

Way back from lab1.mydmn.com(SSG9.1) I have taken gateway backup via web console,now this server is decommissioned and now more online have got just backup with out audit logs. Now i want to get only polices from that backup taken and want to move to lab2.mydmn.com(ssg9.1). I could see in the backup.zip a file called main_backup.sql.

• 2.  Re: policy migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2017 08:50 AM

As far as I know there is no easy way to extract just policies from this backup. 

This backup you mention seems to be a ssgbackup 

Which has 2 options ssgrestore/ssgmigrate

Migrate System Data - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

ssgrestore intended for restoring to the same system in case something went corrupt.

ssgmigrate intended to migrate the data to a new system. 

This should have all the files needed to bring up a similar image to the machine that is/was gone and have access to the policies. But this is in the form of a mysql backup main_backup.sql.

If you provision a box and do the ssgmigrate then you can use one of the standard migration tools to move only policies for example gmu. 

Get Started and Run GMU - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

GMU which is intended to take policies and dependencies from one box to another. Or of course just the traditional Policy Manager export/import. Or restman and there are some other possible choices for policy migration. 

I don't think it would be wise though just to try and append data from 1 table in that sql backup into the existing systems table(s). 

So my suggestion would be if this is required to restore the image and then use one of the traditional methods of migrating data.

Thanks.

• 3.  Re: policy migration

Posted Aug 11, 2017 09:37 AM

In this case GMU may not be a viable solution to move to system 'B' form 'A', because the system 'A' is offline and i have only backup.zip file of system 'A'.

• 4.  Re: policy migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2017 10:16 AM

Understood, which is why unless another update on the communities has a better idea as quoted from the above, I believe it starts with,

"If you provision a box and do the ssgmigrate then you can use one of the standard migration tools to move only policies for example gmu."

ssgmigrate restores your old backup onto a box if you follow the docops documentation. Then you can selectively migrate policies via gmu since an old image of the box will be online now.

• 5.  Re: policy migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2017 07:53 PM

Hello Popleys ,

In theory, you can extract the sql file from backup.zip file, and tailor it to import polices only.

It's better to engage CA service, or at least open a support ticket.

Regards,

Mark