DX NetOps

• 1.  Model Type Pingable only

Posted Aug 17, 2017 06:46 PM

I have a bunch of Cisco switches coming up as pingable devices. The fault I got for one in the event log is, "The requested NCM operation was not performed on model xxxxxxxx because NCM is disabled on the models device family."

I changed the device name and set the Device Type to Cat3560_48PS; the Model Class to Switch. I see SNMP Community String is blank and Agent Port is blank. System Object ID is also blank.

I added the SNMP security string to the switch to verify but it is still Model Type Name Pingable.

What am I missing?

• 2.  Re: Model Type Pingable only

Posted Aug 17, 2017 07:27 PM

I guess you need to rediscover the device in question with the appropriate community string provided the device responds to SNMP requests form the Spectrum IP address . 

Just changing the Model type pingable to something else would not work , the device needs to be rediscovered .

• 3.  Re: Model Type Pingable only
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2017 08:30 PM

Launch MIB tool and try to query the device using the IP address and the community string. See if you are able to get a response back from the device or not? If you are not getting any response back, then you will need to check the SNMP settings on the device and also make sure firewalls are not blocking the requests.

• 4.  Re: Model Type Pingable only

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2017 12:43 AM

On the device check for below entries

snmp-server community public RO
    where "public" is the Read-only community string.

snmp-server community private RW

where "private" is the Read-write community string.

Ensure that you are using one of the configured community string.