Release Automation

• 1.  Creating ZIP file on Remote Windows server using ZIP file action

Posted Aug 18, 2017 09:40 PM

Hi,

I have folder of around or more that 100MB and if I use the Zip file or folder action its take lot of time to create zip file. even i tried thru RUN command line action as well but it take same time. 

Any fastest mechanism available to reduce the time for Zip file.

• 2.  Re: Creating ZIP file on Remote Windows server using ZIP file action

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 21, 2017 07:52 AM

Hi,

How long does it take WinZip or 7zip to zip the folder?

How long does it take the action "Create Zip File"  to zip the folder?

Is the problem related to the fact that you run the action on a remote server? Does it go faster if you zip a similar folder locally?

regards,

Leo

• 3.  Re: Creating ZIP file on Remote Windows server using ZIP file action

Posted Aug 22, 2017 03:48 PM

Hi Leo,

The Winzip and 7zip takes a less time on local server than creating zip file on remote server and same time it take thru CARA as well in both situation. our observation are with CARA is arround 120 MBs to 150MBs, CA release automation takes 10-15min on remote server. 

Is there any mechanism which we can use to create zip file on remote server from agent machine?

• 4.  Re: Creating ZIP file on Remote Windows server using ZIP file action
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 03:32 AM

If the remote server runs an RA agent as well, you can specify for the zip action that it must be run on the remote agent. Assuming that the remote server is assigned to a different server type, you can right click the action and select "Execute on another server", then specify the server type that the remote agent belongs to. It will then be run locally by the agent on the remote server.