CA Service Management

• 1.  Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 23, 2017 10:35 AM

Hello Community,

I'm planning an Swin Box upgrade from a 11.2 to r14.1 but i've a few doubts with the install of the 11.2 version.

On the documentation basically says that i run the install, it finish and then a configuration wizard starts.

My doubt is that doc say if my mdb is going to reside on a remote server i have to install the remote components on that server. On that installation it only shows configurations for ingres and oracle.. so if my mdb is on MS SQL remote server it means i don't have to install the remote components??

Regards.

• 2.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 11:17 AM

You should need to run the MDB installer on the SQL DB server

• 3.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 12:41 PM

Not sure if you have followed this document as below, but you need to follow steps as below

PART 2 - PREPARE THE SWING ENVIRONMENT & REPLICATE PROD SWING

NOTE: If your SWING environment has both the DB and Application running on the same box, then you may start at step #3 in this section.
    **For reference, in this section we will refer to the database server as "SWING-DB" and the application server as "SWING-APP"**

1. On SWING DB - (assuming SQL is already installed), run the MDB installer wizard (from the SD 11.2/12.x install media)
    2. On SWING-APP - install the SQL client and native client (workstation tools also)

Link for complete doc: https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.tec578669.html

• 4.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 23, 2017 12:52 PM

Yes, i saw that document but in the documentation of 11.2 i see that when talking about remote mdb is only saying ingres or oracle.

I'm looking the mdb installer of the 11.2 media.

• 5.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 23, 2017 07:48 PM

Paul_Coccimiglio is correct here... You Should be able to run 11.2 against SQL 2005 without a problem.  Are you sure that you are not looking at 11.0 or 11.1? Those might have only worked with Oracle or Ingres.  Check the install media that you are using as it seems something is not right there.   Also where in the documentation does it talk about only using Oracle or Ingres?  Can you point out a section in the 11.2 implementation guide?

Thanks,
    Jon I.

• 6.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 24, 2017 08:54 AM

Hello Jon,

It's 11.2 ISO... You can see the documentation here.

Regards.

• 7.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 24, 2017 10:45 AM

Hi Jason - that is very strange.  I am honestly not sure on that.  I have not done an 11.2 install in a long time, but if I remember correctly, you would run remote components on the SQL server and it would "install" the MDB.  Very odd.  I just took a look at the Implementation guide that I have which shows the following section:

Remote Components Installation (Windows)
    The Remote Components Installer assists you with the installation of the components necessary to run the MDB remotely from your Unicenter Service Desk server. If the MDB and eIAM are already installed by another application, the remote components installer validates if the MDB is at the proper release level and upgrades if necessary. If Ingres is the Database Type used, then the remote components installer ensures that the Ingres version is also current. Additionally, it creates a Unicenter Service Desk privileged user on the Database Server Machine. If no installation is detected on the remote server, the wizard installs eIAM and/or Ingres, and creates a Unicenter Service Desk privileged user.
    Use the Remote Component installer to install/upgrade the MDB on any database. If eIAM is not installed anywhere in your organization and you do not want it installed on the same machine as Service Desk, you can optionally choose to install it on the machine hosting the MDB. eIAM can also be installed on any third machine separate from the Service Desk server and the database server, in which case you have to use the eIAM interactive installer from the Service Desk Server installation DVD. If you are using Ingres as your database, it is strongly recommended that eIAM be installed on the same machine as Ingres.
    Please note eIAM requires the Ingres database. If you choose to install eIAM and Ingres is not present, Ingres will also be installed.
    Note: If you choose Ingres as the Database Type, the II_INSTALLATION identifier specified here must be used for the remote II_INSTALLATION identifier text field on the Unicenter Service Desk server configuration wizard. We recommend using the default identifier of EI.
    To install Unicenter Service Desk Remote Components, follow these steps:
    1. Log on as administrator on the server that will host the MDB, and insert the installation media in the CD/DVD-ROM drive.
    The installation process should begin automatically. If it does not, double-click the CD/DVD-ROM drive letter in My Computer, and then double-click setup.exe.
    2. Click on the Install Products link, and then click on the Install Service Desk Remote Components link.
    The Unicenter Service Desk Remote Components welcome wizard appears.
    3. Click Next.
    The Database Configuration window appears.

4. Select the Database Type you want to use, enter the other required details accordingly, and then click Next.
    Note: If Ingres is the DB Type used, then the II_INSTALLATION identifier on the remote database server must match the II_INSTALLATION identifier specified on the Ingres DB configuration page of the Unicenter Service Desk server configuration wizard. We recommend using the default identifier of EI.
    The eIAM options window appears.
    5. Choose whether you wish to install eIAM on the machine hosting Service Desk. If you choose to install eIAM, enter the eIAM Administrator Password and select the installation folder for eIAM.
    Note: If eIAM is already installed on the remote system, the password entered should match the previously defined password. The installation default password is eiamadmin1.
    The Privileged User options window appears.
    6. Enter the Privileged User Name and Password, and Click Next.
    When configuring Unicenter Service Desk, you must use the same Privileged User Name as that specified when running the Remote Components installer.
    The Summary window appears.
    7. Click Finish.
    Note: The installation log file can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Local Settings\Temp, where xxxxx is the userid of the person who performs the installation. The file name is ca_service_desk_remote_setup_xxxxx, where xxxxx is a 5 digit process ID.

I dont see that same line you are referring to, so not sure whats up wtih the doc - maybe you have an older copy of the install media?

When you actually run the remote components installer, does it not have SQL listed there?

Let us know,

Jon I.

• 8.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 24, 2017 10:53 AM

Jason - also a quick question.  What SQL version do you have installed?  And is it 64bit or 32bit?

There is a known issue with 11.2 and 64bit SQL

Let me know,

Jon

• 9.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 24, 2017 11:29 AM

Hey, when i run the component installer it doesn't have SQL listed.

• 10.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 24, 2017 01:42 PM

What version of SQL do you have? and is it 32bit or 64bit.?

• 11.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 23, 2017 12:53 PM

Yes, that's why i'm confuse i don't see any of it on the documentation.

• 12.  Re: Unicenter 11.2

Posted Aug 30, 2017 07:08 PM

Jason are you using 32bit SQL or 64bit SQL - and which version of SQL?