Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

• 1.  Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 23, 2017 04:13 PM

<wincing>

Do I need to have a full licensed seat to do Javascript development against the CA Agile Central SDK?

</wincing>

I am getting 403 Forbidden Errors when I try to crank up App-Debug.html.     

Or, I could just be senile. 

Screenshot and App.js attached.

Thanks, folks.

Mike

Attachment(s)

zip
    App.js.zip   303 B 1 version

• 2.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 24, 2017 03:47 AM

miguelfuerte,

You should be able to use Custom HTML in the Community Edition.  What is the entire HTML from App-Debug.html?  If you use just the App.html, is there any difference?  Are you pasting the HTML into a Custom HTML page when this happens or running it outside of Agile Central?

Michael

• 3.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 24, 2017 05:37 AM

Michael, so grateful for your great support.

BTW, you have an uncanny resemblance to Dave Thomas who did the CA Agile Central tutorial videos.

So, I was following CA's Javascript tutorial video step by step.  He opens the App-Debug.html file externally in a separate tab in Chrome.  On a Mac, in fact, he simply did cmd>Open App-Debug.html on the command line, which I did as well.

I welcome a workaround if the tutorial only works for subscription versions.   I'm not familiar with the "Custom HTML page" but will look for it.  Is that the work around?   If I only paste in one page, how does it find "the rest" of my app sitting in my local sandbox?

Thanks.

Mike

• 4.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 24, 2017 05:48 AM

miguelfuerte,

You're welcome.  Yes, Dave's videos are great!  Let me go through that again.  I think there may be cross site scripting issues these days, but let me go through it again step-by-step to make sure.

When you run 'rab build', it should create an App.html file.  If you copy the contents of that into a Custom HTML page in Agile Central, it should run.  More information about Custom HTML pages is available here:

Custom HTML | CA Agile Central Help 

I'll get back shortly on what I find...

Michael

• 5.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 24, 2017 06:16 AM

Michael, first, in spite of the goofed up time stamps on the Communities forum server that say 7 AM and 9 AM, thank you for being responsive at 4:30 in the morning my time which would be 2:30 your time!  Guess we are both having short nights.

You've already helped me!  What you said off-handedly has already helped me gain progress:

Console shows that the app ran / is-running.

Still, I'm a little concerned about having to build and paste every time I want to test a change.  The app might get quite involved at some point.

At least you've gotten me out of a complete rut.

Aside:  I coded for 25 years.  Then managed teams and coached Agile for 17 years.  The last time I even touched code was 12 years ago.   I'm a new Scaled Agile (SAFe) Coach at Bank of America now, and for me to blow all the dust and rust off my brain to try to code this functionality shows you how much I want this page.    Sure appreciate your volunteering so much of your time and attention to my questions, sir.  Blessings in your direction.

• 6.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 31, 2017 10:40 AM

I can appreciate this comment. Thanks for sharing, miguelfuerte  Breaking free from coding (because of the continuous integration process) 10 years ago myself and heading into the enterprise IT tooling world...coding has come a long way in 20 years. Frameworks today are very capable.  For a 2017 app development experience on Agile Central's platform, define a layout, drop-in a container, add some elements, configure settings, properties, and behavior and - viola - apps come to life!

• 7.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 31, 2017 12:48 PM

Hey miguelfuerte, I couldn't find you on the corp directory.  Ping me on Skype.  I'd love to collaborate.

• 8.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 31, 2017 05:55 PM

Mykitoj, hi. Are you referring to BoA?

I need you real, full name to find you at work.

Thanks!

Mike

On Aug 31, 2017 11:47 AM, "mykitoj" <communityadmin@communities-mail.ca.com>

• 9.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 31, 2017 05:58 PM

I assumed it showed it, Addington, Michael

• 10.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 24, 2017 06:16 AM

miguelfuerte,

Ah, yes. I think you'll need to enable JSONP on your Subscription.  Walking through the tutorial, that was the issue for me.

If you click on the hammer and wrench icon in the upper right corner, click on the Subscription tab and then click the 'Actions' drop down in the upper right corner, you can select 'Edit Subscription...'.

Look for the JSONP field and enable it.  More information about that can be found here by searching JSONP once you open the page:

Configure Your Subscription | CA Agile Central Help 

Hope that helps!

Michael

• 11.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?

Posted Aug 24, 2017 06:18 AM

Wow.  Thank you, Michael.  

• 12.  Re: Can Someone Develop JS Rally Extensions on Free Edition?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2017 06:42 AM

@michaelfuerte,

You're very welcome!  Yes, it will be much better to have the ability to do the coding without copying and pasting for sure.  There are plenty of examples available out on GitHub as well to help you along.  Here are some good ones to bookmark:

nmusaelian-rally · GitHub 

markwilliams970 (Mark Williams) · GitHub 

Rally Community · GitHub 

Experiments and Prototypes · GitHub 

Echo3ToEcho7 (Colin O'Brien) · GitHub 

wrackzone (Barry Mullan) · GitHub 

Rally Technical Services Team · GitHub 

and of course,

davidpthomas (David P Thomas) · GitHub 

Truth be told, I am based in the Netherlands, so we are enjoying a nice late August day, albeit from the window, but not too bad.

Anyway, we'll try to help you along as you clean through the layers of dust!

Have a great rest of the morning.

Michael