I was lucky enough to have someone (Edit: Thanks James!) provide me both the symptoms AND the solution for an issue with CA ITSM 17 and IIS 8.5 for http/s configuration.
Getting "Error 404" after the Web Director tries to launch the web client.
As stated below, no idea if this is a generic issue or not. It could be "just one of those things." But in case it isn't, I thought I'd jot down this update.
- - - - Issue extract
SDM r17 on Windows 2012 / SQL 2016, IIS 8.5
Working towards enforcing https login through IIS 8.5, as documented.
- Configured the web director and additional web engine 'pdmweb2.exe'
- Created a new virtual directory 'CAisdsec' pointing to a copy of 'wwwroot'.
- Edited 'primary_web2.cfg' to launch 'CAisdsec\pdmweb2.exe'.
- Successfully run pdm_configure.
The virtual directory is not yet configured to require SSL - I want to get it working under http first.
I have granted 'full control' on the new virtual directory to the IIS Default App Pool identity.
The web director tries to launch 'CAisdsec\pdmweb2.exe' on alternate sessions, but http://hostname/CAisdsec/pdmweb2.exe' fails to launch with an "Error 404".
- Static content in the virtual directory 'CAisdsec' (e.g. the 'web_test.html' that IIS adds in a new virtual directory) launches OK from a browser.
- CGI is configured and enabled for the new virtual directory.
After reading the IIS error message I looked at IIS 'ISAPI and CGI restrictions' registered for the server.
- The '.exe's in wwwroot were all explicitly allowed, but no entries existed for '.exe's in 'wwwrootsec'.
- Added an entry allowing 'wwwrootsec\pdmweb2.exe'.
Now the director launches CAisdsec\pdmweb2.exe successfully without the '404'.
I don't know if this happened because of something I omitted to do in setting up the configuration (though I'm reasonably sure that I followed the doco to the letter), or whether perhaps this is an additional step that needs to be documented for IIS 8.
- - - - End extract
A big "Thanks!" for this information.
Let us know if you encounter any similar issues with IIS 8 and SDM/ITSM.