DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How to display the exception error in CA APM Report

Posted Aug 25, 2017 12:24 AM

Hi there,

I have created a Report from workstation. The report is contains of the list of SQL error. The customer is requesting the report also display the exception error from every single SQL query. 

How to make it, need your advise?

Regards

Rio

• 2.  Re: How to display the exception error in CA APM Report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 11:27 AM

Made into a discussion and shared with the APM Developer Community

• 3.  Re: How to display the exception error in CA APM Report
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2017 07:28 AM

Hello Rio,

I believe that is not possible.

1) Metrics are stored in the Smartstor database. 

2) Errors descriptions and traces are stored in the Traces database, see Query Stored Events - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

You could try to use CLW to export the exception, see CLW Command Reference - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Here is an example:

java -Duser=Admin -Dpassword= -Dhost=localhost -Dport=5001 -Xms512m -Xmx512m -jar CLWorkstation.jar get historical events matching \"type:errorsnapshot AND time:[20170828 TO 20170829]\"

If you need a txt version, you can load the file using Query Historical Events window and then save the file as txt.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Sergio

• 4.  Re: How to display the exception error in CA APM Report

Posted Aug 29, 2017 12:08 PM

Hi Sergio,

Thank you for your reply. From your explanation, it looks there is no way to make it happen. Because, either metrics and error exceptions are stored in different database.
    I thought with use PSQL (https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/integrating/ca-apmsql-cookbook) can extract metrics and error-description together in one page reporting.

Regards

Rio

• 5.  Re: How to display the exception error in CA APM Report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2017 12:12 PM

Events database is a Apache Lucene datastore, not Oracle or PostgreSQL.

• 6.  Re: How to display the exception error in CA APM Report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2017 12:14 PM

You could use CLW to pull data from Events DB, like Sergio suggests, then bring it back into APM as a new metric which can be displayed in a Dashboard or Team Center.

• 7.  Re: How to display the exception error in CA APM Report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 12:43 PM

It is not recommended to pass username and password to CLW as it is done in cleartext.

Instead, use "-Dkeyfile=<workstation_home>/config/internal/console/EM.public". The same keyfile can be found on the EM in the same directory or in "<em_home>/config/internal/server".