CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

• 1.  Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 11:24 AM

We have recently moved to Advanced Availability and I am unable to Publish Forms from WSP in our Production environment without copying them to all of our servers.  I do not want to reconfigure the forms using WSP in order to publish them.

1. Modify a form using WSP in Test environment.

2. Publish

3. pdm_webcache

4. Copy forms from nx_root\site\mods\www\htmpl\web\analyst Test (Background Server) to nx_root\site\mods\www\htmpl\web\analyst Prod (Background Server)

How can I get these forms to publish?  The only way I've been able to publish them is to copy them to all of the Application Servers.  We are on 14.1.

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 11:40 AM

Hi, 

Once you copy the forms to prod you don't need to publish them. You only use publish when you have modified a file in WSP. If you copied the files while prod was still online you will need to run "pdm_webcache -H", which brings the new files into the cache. 

• 3.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 11:40 AM

Version control should be handling this on its own during a recycle - but to do it without recycling you would have to copy it manually as there is no "job" that runs to do that while the system is running... Possibly a failover to the standby and then fail back might do it if you want to give that a shot although I believe that the files are "pulled" and not "pushed"... meaning each server would pull the files at startup.  I think that using WSP would be the only way to have it force a push of the forms...

Jon

• 4.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 11:57 AM

I have tried doing both failover to standby and pdm_webcache.  I'm working on one more form and will try the above methods again.

• 5.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 12:39 PM

Neither option worked when I tried them again.  I copied the from the Background server in my Test environment to the Background server in my Dev environment.  I then ran pdm_webcache -H, and then launched the UI to verify if I could see the changes or not, which I could not.  I did a failover to the Standby server and then back to the original Background server, and then went to the UI to verify the changes, which were still not showing.  I then tried pdm_webcache -H again, which still did not make the changes available in the UI.  If I publish changes from WSP, and then run pdm_webcache, I can see the changes in the UI.

• 6.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 12:54 PM

You need to copy the files to each server in the environment and then run pdm_webcache - H on each one. Publishing forms in WSP automatically pushes forms to all servers, but when copying them manually you need to do that step manually. 

• 7.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 01:13 PM

Hi Nicole - yeah thats what I figured would be the case.  Version control is a "pull" mechanism by each server - not a "push" from the background.  So the servers would need to be recycled to pull the new files at startup.   The only way to do this without publishing in WSP is to manually copy them to each server.  Pdm_webcache only pulls them into the cache IF they exist.... in your case they dont exist on the other servers yet - so it will just recache the existing files.

I would say that this one would make for a good "idea" here on the communities - I think a lot of folks would vote for it!!!  I know I would vote for it if you post it.

Thanks,
    Jon I.

• 8.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 01:19 PM

Ok, that is what I was doing prior to this post.  I was under the impression there was a way to do it without copying to all the servers.

ty

• 9.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 25, 2017 01:25 PM

You could script it in a batch file pretty easily - basically you would copy them to the background and then you could have a batch file to copy (with overwrite) the site\mods\www\htmpl directory to the app standby and app servers and run pdm_webcache -H

Food for thought

• 10.  Re: Copy Service Desk Form from Test to Prod with Advanced Availability

Posted Aug 31, 2017 01:39 PM

Why not copy the file to the Background server in Prod, open it in WSP on the Background server in Prod, add a bogus space to trigger a change has been made and then publish it to push it out to the other servers?