CA Service Management

• 1.  How to pass SDM ticket numbers in an Event Rule Action to PAM?

Posted Aug 30, 2017 01:08 PM

We are setting up a PAM Process to trigger from Catalog when the option status changes in a given way.  To minimize the number of steps that PAM has to take, we want to pass in the associated ticket number and handle from the Service Option that is triggering the action.

We don't see the fields available to pass into the SRF that we built for it.  I know that it's saved because I can see the data in the usm_link_ticket_request_item table.  That table links request_id and request_item_id to the SDM ticket that was associated to it.  And it gives me both the ref_num and the persid of said ticket.  That's exactly what I want to send into the SRF but how?

I know I can have PAM do a DB query to get it or a web service call to get it but that seems unnecessary since the macro is already being triggered by the option that it's tied to.  How would I go about passing that in?

We are currently using 14.1 CP4

Bonus question:   Since the trigger is based on the change of status, I would also like to pass in the userid of the individual that changed the status for use in the process. Again, I know I could have PAM go get it but it seems like an unnecessary extra step.

• 2.  Re: How to pass SDM ticket numbers in an Event Rule Action to PAM?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2017 05:44 AM

Good Morning Brett.

A query on the mdb is necessary.
    You can execute the query either in the SC-Service-Option-Form or in PAM.

When on the SC-Form, create a report-builder/data-object for the table&column.
    And populate a 'hidden-disabled' form-field with the value(SDM-ticket number).
    And then read that form-field from within the PAM-Process.

Thanks and kind regards, Louis.

• 3.  Re: How to pass SDM ticket numbers in an Event Rule Action to PAM?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2017 04:29 AM

Good Morning Brett.

Unfortunately, passing on this parameter through an Event-Rule-Action(ERA) is not possible.

And in general, for situations like this, where a user asks for a change of behaviour of the current release of the product, I can propose to add an Idea in the Communities.

A new way to get your voice heard at CA is to suggest your Idea for review through the Service Management Global User Community.
    The CA Service Catalog Product Team is adopting the CA Community based ideation solution, which is available to you through the CA Service Management Global User Community.  

The following steps will guide you to submit an Idea:
    - Logon to the CA Service Management Global User Community.
    - Select "CA Service Catalog" from the "Products Covered" menu on the right side of the page. (you might need to scroll down a little).
    - Click on the 'Ideas'(bulb-light) icon at the top to view the existing Ideas and see if your Idea has already been suggested.
      When yes, you can then vote-up on it (and add a comment).
    - If you have a new Idea, click on the "Create an Idea" link on the Actions menu at the left.  

Once your Idea is submitted(publish), all members of the Community can view, comment, provide suggestions, discuss alternatives and vote on Ideas to define the highly popular features.
    All Ideas will be reviewed to see whether they can be implemented.

Thanks in advance for your effort on this.
    With kind regards, Louis van Amelsfort.

• 4.  Re: How to pass SDM ticket numbers in an Event Rule Action to PAM?

Posted Sep 05, 2017 10:18 AM

Well that's disappointing.  I'd do it in PAM then.  The data is already saved in the request and I don't see the value add of creating a new hidden field to get it from the form.  That's way more work than I want to do and creates duplicate data points.  I'll get it from where it's stored after the PAM process starts instead of passing it in from the SRF.