Clarity

• 1.  Role Source What If Analysis

Posted Aug 31, 2017 10:02 AM

We're working with a customer on a Portfolio for budgeting & what-if analysis purposes. All investments are Ideas and scoped with Roles. It's possible some of the Roles can be staffed internally, it's possible some can be staffed with consultants resulting in much different costs. 

The customer is curious about these trade offs and asked if PPM Portfolios could do what-if analysis between these internally sourced and externally sourced Roles. I can easily create the Roles and add 'em as appropriate to the Matrix. I can probably create two different cost plans per idea with the different Roles. Is there any way to do 'what-if' analysis in Portfolios on these different cost plans/Roles? If not Portfolios, how have others approached & delivered a solution for this business problem to solve?

• 2.  Re: Role Source What If Analysis
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 01, 2017 06:34 PM

Hi Rob,

I took a look into this a long while back so apologies if this has now changed, but the portfolio scenario modelling just didn't cut it for real world resource or financial modelling. (basically too complicated, not quick enough)

With your proposed solution in CA PPM, it does sound like a lot of work and I believe only the plan of record would feed into the PFM modules. Check that though.

The problem stems from the effort into cost generation, which can't be re-run at portfolio level.

In my ideal world we'd have "sliders" where we could control external internal splits of a portfolio role 0%-->100% and see the impact to the portfolio straight from the rate matrix, as this is such a common business scenario. (i.e. project manager role adjusted from 0% to 80% contractor, $800k increase in cost to the portfolio).

I guess we're entering into the fuzzy world of HR and departmental planning, but a very real scenario if you simply don't have the resource to deliver your roadmap.

I've built tools outside CA PPM and would be possible to add into the tool via a custom web app, as long as you have the base data.

I'd love to see "portfolio resource pool modelling" out the box