DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Hostname or IP address?

Posted Sep 04, 2017 10:22 AM

Hi,

what is the CA recommendation about to configure your applications, using hostname or ip address?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Hostname or IP address?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 04, 2017 04:53 PM

Hi Fernando,

Are you asking about the use of hostname/IP Address in the overall communications between all the APM components i.e. Enterprise Managers (EMs) and agents? 

In general either option can be used as long as it is reliable. Some specific points:

• Using a Fully Qualiified Domain Name (FQDN) resolved by DNS would automatically cover any server IP Address changes that might occur. Of course the DNS lookup performance for hostname -> IP Address resolution needs to be good to avoid any communication delays.
    • Using FQDN would be beneficial for setting up failover EMs where the FQDN lookup automatically handles the change in IP address at failover time. Alternatively a Virtual IP Address (VIP) approach could be used for that..
    • A FQDN may not be appropriate if you have firewalls between components where only 1 specific NIC can be used to communicate between components i.e. the IP Address of that NIC needs to be explicitly used.
    • For EM->TIM communications the setup requires IP Address use.

I hope that information helps. Please let us know if you have more specific questions.

Thanks,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Hostname or IP address?

Posted Sep 06, 2017 02:14 PM

Hi Lynn,
    I appreciate your response, this is exactly that it I want to know. Thanks

• 4.  Re: Hostname or IP address?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 09:09 AM

Hi Fernando:

Was Lynn's note helpful? Seeing no follow-up questions so marking as answered. Looking forward to your response

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: Hostname or IP address?

Posted Sep 11, 2017 02:39 PM

Today, with APM 10.5.2, a customer tried to access the TeamCenter & Webview with an IP address of a local dev machine.

However, Webview issues a redirect with a Location: HTTP field that use the hostname of the webview (it didn't keep the IP he entered in the URL).

That dev hostname was not known by the Windows server and therefore the HTTP console couldn't work.

I would recommend to always use logical defined DNS names for Agent, EM and Webview.

During APM migration to different servers, you can redirect agents to a new EM easily just by changing the DNS.