Service Virtualization

• 1.  Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 06, 2017 08:05 AM

Hello All,

I was testing one secured virtual service in Lisa Test case and was facing SSL Peer exception. I thought it will be some certificate issue. But after all checks , I just changed port number and test again and this time I was able to get response. So I am bit confused and not able to understand,

why particular port was rejecting secure connection?

Is there any way I can check what ports on my machine can get secure connection and which are not before creating and testing any virtual service?

Is there way to check what ports are secure and what are not?

So expert advise is required to understand and clear those points. Please suggest.

Cheers..

Shivam Garg

• 2.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 06, 2017 01:12 PM

I'm a little bit confused as to what you are testing. It sounds like you have a test case and a virtual service, so are you actually testing any real system?

To consume ANY virtual service, whether it is SSL or non SSL enabled, you have to use the designated port that you assigned the virtual service when you deployed it. From DevTest perspective there are no restrictions on what ports can or should be used for SSL and non SSL virtual service. As long as there are no port firewall rules setup on your server then any port can be used for SSL and non SSL traffic, but in the real world ports 443 and 80 are typically the designated SSL and non SSL ports, respectively. But again, the port you need to use is the port that you assigned the virtual service during deployment...

• 3.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 07, 2017 02:39 AM

Hello William,

Thanks for looking into this. It is a virtual service that I have created and testing through Web Service Execution test case. I am using same port during testing what I gave during creation. Very first I used 12008 during development and testing, I got SSL exception then I changed port number to 8003 and then it was success hit.

Not able to understand reason behind this. So can you clear, please?

Cheers..

Shivam Garg

• 4.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 07, 2017 11:56 AM

Can you share your virtual service and test case so I can see if it has been configured correctly? Can you explain what made you change to port 8003? I'm assuming you must have worked with this port number in the past and didn't change it to some random port number?

• 5.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:10 AM

No I have not worked with this port in past. It is random number which came in mind and used. I can share with you service and test case but I am sure it is configured properly.

Cheers..

• 6.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 07, 2017 02:21 PM

Hello Shivam,

One more thing to add, verify if you had a different Virtual Service (HTTP) running on this same port. 

You cannot have two virtual services, HTTP and HTTPS, listening on the same port.

Before a SSL enabled service is invoked there is the "handshake" process that happens between the client and SSL port and it will fail in case of having same port running on http/https.

Hope it helps.

Heloisa

• 7.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:06 AM

Hello Heloisa,

If I am considering what you said, then I would like to inform you that I have two https services running on same port i.e. 8003 and those are working fine. But if I am changing port to some different random number say 8011 or 12008 then throwing exception. Also as of now by picking random number, I have used mentioned port number only. 

Cheers..

Thanks..

• 8.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:00 PM

Hi Shivam,

Could you go ahead and open a support ticket for this?

It would be good to take a look at your environment to try to understand what is happening.

Thank you,

Heloisa

• 9.  Re: Getting SSL Exception on particular port

Posted Sep 11, 2017 02:44 AM

Hello Heloisa,

I don't think it is required as of now. We have raised this concern to Steven Howe from CA team who is assisting us in up gradation of version. Hope he will help us in sorting out this or to get root cause which is causing this.

Will let you know updates.

Cheers..

Shivam Garg