Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Validate Sender FQDN

Posted Sep 07, 2017 02:37 PM

Hi All, 

How to validate the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of the webservice sender? We have a SOAP service exposed in the API Gateway and in addition to basic User id/pwd, we are trying confirm the sender FQDN as well, how to achieve the same in API gateway, 

Cheers,

Rakesh

• 2.  Re: Validate Sender FQDN

Posted Sep 07, 2017 04:07 PM

By sender you mean the client that makes the SOAP request?

• 3.  Re: Validate Sender FQDN

Posted Sep 07, 2017 04:11 PM

Yes client that makes SOAP request, in our case its a SaaS application. 

• 4.  Re: Validate Sender FQDN
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 07, 2017 04:23 PM

in this case it depends if the client is connecting directly to the API Gateway or if it's going through a proxy of some sort (i.e. a load balancer). If it's connecting directly, then I believe you can use the following context variable to get the hostname of the client: ${request.tcp.remoteHost}

However, you may have to enable reverse lookups as instructed in the link below, or else it will only return the IP address, same as ${request.tcp.remoteIP} would do.

See: Transport Layer Context Variables - CA API Gateway - 9.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

If however you're going through a proxy or load balancer, that IP/hostname would be that of the SNIP of the load balancer or proxy, so you'd have to first make sure that the X-Forwarded-For header is passed and then look at ${request.http.header.X-Forwarded-For} to get the IP... and that wouldn't give you the hostname... so hope that's not the case.

Then it would be up to you to add a Compare Expression assertion to check if the hostname matches what you're expecting.

Does that help?

• 5.  Re: Validate Sender FQDN

Posted Sep 07, 2017 04:35 PM

Thanks for the response, let me try it out if this works,