Service Virtualization

• 1.  IBM MQ: Trying to record 1 request and 2 responses (v9.5.1)

Posted Sep 07, 2017 11:57 PM

Attempting to set up an MQ recording via the Workstation where the source system sends a single request and receives 2 responses to the same queue - an immediate "ACK" (acknowledgement) and, when the order is processed, a "CMP" (completion) response. Will the recorder automatically pick up both responses?  

I set up 2 responses in the recording window, but in initial testing, I was only getting a single response picked up by the recorder.

Of note, there was a substantial time gap (2+ hours) between the ACK and CMP in my testing.  The next recording session will have an operator closing the order immediately after we send the request.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  Re: IBM MQ: Trying to record 1 request and 2 responses (v9.5.1)
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 08, 2017 12:59 PM

A two hour response time is pretty far outside the normal operating parameters of VSE.

That being said, try this:

Make sure the 'PRO' button is enabled in the recorder, and change the following fields:

- Recording Threads: (this is the maximum number of concurrent transactions, in other words this is the maximum number of second responses we can be waiting for at any point in time)

- Minimum Responses: 2 (makes sure we wait for the second response on each transaction)

- Maximum Responses: 2 (so it knows it's done after the second response)

- Timeout: 0 (this removes the default 30 second timeout for waiting for a response)

This will probably work but, like I said, this kind of response time is not something we usually support.

• 3.  Re: IBM MQ: Trying to record 1 request and 2 responses (v9.5.1)

Posted Sep 08, 2017 01:42 PM

Thanks Kevin - I'll try this... I had a feeling that time frame was the problem. I'll try this configuration, as well, and get back to you once I herd the sheep I need to perform this test again...  

• 4.  Re: IBM MQ: Trying to record 1 request and 2 responses (v9.5.1)

Posted Sep 08, 2017 01:48 PM

FYI I've also set up my recorder with 2 inputs from the same queue.  and set up a correlation scheme based on a field in all 3 recorded types.

My recording setup

• 5.  Re: IBM MQ: Trying to record 1 request and 2 responses (v9.5.1)

Posted Sep 08, 2017 02:14 PM

Okay.  Again, this should work but it's not something I've specifically tested. myself.

• 6.  Re: IBM MQ: Trying to record 1 request and 2 responses (v9.5.1)

Posted Sep 08, 2017 03:13 PM

I'll let you know what happens *if* our system cooperates... (hence the reason we want this virtualized...)